Princeton rounding out the 2020 sked?

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
keco616
New Recruit

Princeton rounding out the 2020 sked?

Post by keco616 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:03 am

It has been reported that Princeton is coming to Michie in October of 2020. This would potentially round out the schedule, although it has not been confirmed for all proposed ties yet.

As it currently stands, it appears Bucknell is the opener next year, meaning once again two FCS teams are on the slate. This, after UCONN states its need to fill out their own schedule.

If true, choosing to play TWO FCS teams is shameful for a 'top 25' team who will 'play anyone, anywhere'. The 2 FCS games due to North Texas cancellation seems to be an anomaly, as Army prefers to play two cupcakes.

As a season ticket holder constantly being dinged for more money, I find the scheduling ridiculous and nearly in agreement with Chet Gladchuk's assessment of our scheduling strategy ("embarassing"). As Army Athletics will gouge me for the Oklahome game (rightfully so), will they drop my prices for Morgan State or Bucknell? No excuse not to have UConn or a similar foe rounding out the schedule instead.

I fully expect better from the "National Champions of Toughness".
2 x

Mastergate
New Recruit

Re: Princeton rounding out the 2020 sked?

Post by Mastergate » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:55 am

For the hundred times uconn does not want to come here
Same for bc so screw them why worry about uconn not very good probation issues
As for navy very salty no issues when they were winning and beating us
Tan into navy season tic holder he even stated their athletic director needs to go a d conference big mistake we should have learned from ARMY in USA conference
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Maybe I am in the minority but I fail to see the problem with 2 FCS teams, and I fail to see the problem with Army playing an Ivy every year.

Not sure why folks are clamoring to play a crappy UCONN team every year. I'd rather play a different ivy every year than play the same UCONN team 10 years in a row.

folks we were 11-2 last year with two FCS teams. We got ranked. We got into a bowl. and starting in 2020 we have a bowl agreement each year. Someone needs to show me how this 2-FCS thing actually negatively impacts army, cause I am not seeing it.

Join a conference? Here is Navy's first 4 weeks.Holy Cross Bye East Caroline. Bye. Uh....no thanks on that one.
0 x

ArmyRoadFan7
New Recruit

Post by ArmyRoadFan7 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:02 pm

I could be wrong but hasn't UCONN stated that playing at Michie is beneath them?
0 x

keco616
New Recruit

Post by keco616 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:10 pm

Mastergate wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:55 am
For the hundred times uconn does not want to come here
According to whom? And even if that was true, it's out the window now that they are an independent starting next year. They NEED games, especially ones that require local interest and ticket sales.

Uconn aside, play ANY FBS team. Simply put, its a joke of a schedule. I'm not asking for a conference, I'm asking to play scholarship teams in games that count for bowl eligibility.
1 x

Mack270
New Recruit

Post by Mack270 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:53 pm

Our head coach preaches to our team that they can play with anyone if they play with toughness and the fundamentals they are coached. They all believe they can beat anyone if they play with that mentality. The athletic department betrays that mentality by putting together garbage schedules highlighted with two FCS games a year. Why are we the only team that feels compelled to schedule two FCS games a year? Only one will count for bowl eligibility anyway.

After this announcement, how was Chet wrong?

Princeton is a cool team to play if they were our one FCS game for the year. It's beyond lame that it is a second FCS game. How is it the same people who were yelling at Rabble about how if we want to schedule 12 little sisters of the poor each year and forego a pay game against a P5 school with the sole point being to win as many games as possible are now okay with this? Be like the OTHER 129 FBS TEAMS and schedule one FCS game a year. UCONN will literally have to beg, borrow, bribe, and steal to fill up their schedule next year after leaving the AAC. Yes they suck, but a bad FBS team is better for the Army team's national perception than a second FCS team.
1 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Mack270 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:53 pm
Yes they suck, but a bad FBS team is better for the Army team's national perception than a second FCS team.
You say this, but the facts don't back you up. In all reality, coming into 2019 we have NEVER been this well perceived. We are ranked in most polls, many people are predicting a win or a tight game versus michigan. We have a new bowl contract guaranteeing us a bowl. We finished 19th last year. 19th!!!!! And our recruiting has never been stronger, with many recruits saying things like "Army is winning alot of games."

And we are doing all that with TWO FCS GAMES EVERY YEAR. It appears to me that most people don't really seem to care that we play two of them. As I said before, I'd like to see some actual proof that this two FCS game thing is impacting us, because I don't see it .
0 x

keco616
New Recruit

Post by keco616 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:13 pm

wpgrad wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:00 pm
Mack270 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:53 pm
Yes they suck, but a bad FBS team is better for the Army team's national perception than a second FCS team.
You say this, but the facts don't back you up. In all reality, coming into 2019 we have NEVER been this well perceived. We are ranked in most polls, many people are predicting a win or a tight game versus michigan. We have a new bowl contract guaranteeing us a bowl. We finished 19th last year. 19th!!!!! And our recruiting has never been stronger, with many recruits saying things like "Army is winning alot of games."

And we are doing all that with TWO FCS GAMES EVERY YEAR. It appears to me that most people don't really seem to care that we play two of them. As I said before, I'd like to see some actual proof that this two FCS game thing is impacting us, because I don't see it .
For one, it absolutely impacts us from a revenue perspective. Morgan State will get 21k fans. If you bring in a real opponent, an extra 12k in fans could net nearly an extra $900k in game day revenue. We need the money.

Say we play a real opponent and lose as opposed to the second FCS team last year. When you win CIC, it doesn't matter whether you're 9-3 or 10-2, you're getting Armed Forces Bowl. If you replace Princeton next year with say, Cincinnati (who needs a road game with UConn vacating them), you can show your recruits that you play and maybe beat a team Navy loses 42-0 to. If for nothing else, do it for the pride of the program and for the fans. If you like watching FCS football, by all means enjoy the empty stadium and the tailgate for Morgan State.

The willingness to accept an embarrassing schedule because of reasons like "we used to suck" is beyond me. If you're the so-called 19th ranked team in the country, we should have no problem beating a top-75 opponent in lieu of Princeton, no? This is about acting like a top team and giving the fans real football games. It's amazing that fans like games that don't count and provide no real football entertainment.
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:26 pm

You make the huge assumption that Cinci wants to play us in th emiddle of their AAC season.

And, you really think UCONN is going to bring in that many more fans than princeton? really?

Here is a stat for you. We had more fans for lafayette than we did for liberty or hawaii in 2018. In 2016, we had as many fans for lafayette 38,000 as we did for air force, and more than our other home games versus d1 teams.

Morgan state is an anomaly. Not really sure why we play them, someone must know someone. But playing local FCS schools like Lafayette or an Ivy is going to put people in the seats just as much, if not more, than UCONN.
0 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:17 pm

If we are about building a program not just a successful season in terms of W’s, then I think we need to move away from playing 2 FCS games a year.

Last year was last year... too many bad years of football and the whole UNT debacle. Administration gets a pass for that schedule.

This year...the HI game allows a 13th game, so scheduling a “should win” game against another FCS team probably makes sense.

2020 and beyond...we need to show growth in our scheduling. I haven’t seen anything official announcing this game yet...just here say, but if these reports are correct I will be disappointed. We will in all likelihood be coming off 4 straight winning seasons, likely a 4th bowl game, possibly 3rd double digit win season, maybe another CinC trophy. The team has improved dramatically, so there needs to be some improvement in scheduling...starting with only 1 FCS team per year.
2 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic