Princeton rounding out the 2020 sked?

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
prairie
New Recruit

Re: Princeton rounding out the 2020 sked?

Post by prairie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:16 pm

wpgrad wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:26 pm
And, you really think UCONN is going to bring in that many more fans than princeton? really?

Here is a stat for you. We had more fans for lafayette than we did for liberty or hawaii in 2018. In 2016, we had as many fans for lafayette 38,000 as we did for air force, and more than our other home games versus d1 teams.

Morgan state is an anomaly. Not really sure why we play them, someone must know someone. But playing local FCS schools like Lafayette or an Ivy is going to put people in the seats just as much, if not more, than UCONN.
Spot on wpgrad. The Ivies always draw well at Michie. The best attended games that I ever attended tended to be Harvard, Penn, etc. Aside from the Ivies, AF and Lafayette also draw well too. I remember a year when we played Brown, Harvard, and Princeton. Those were the only 3 games we won that year.

The much celebrated 1996 team played Yale and Lafayette in an 11 game season. Attendance was 40,476 for the Yale game and 39,269 for the Lafayette game. Other than the AF game which drew 41,251, they were the highest attended game at Michie. Ohio only drew 30,500, Duke 36,049 and Tulane 35,971.

From a gate perspective a mediocre FBS program draws much worse than a high profile FCS program. Princeton certainly fits the bill of a high profile FCS program.

If the team is winning, I don't have any problems with scheduling a couple of FCS programs. The argument that they hurt the rankings or gate receipts are just not borne out by the facts. Some of the best years Army had in terms of rankings had 2 or more FCS opponents.
1 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:56 pm

We make up for the poorer attendance by getting a great guarantee for our Annual MONEY Game and the A/N game each year with attendance, high ticket prices and national TV.
If you want to add 11 more MONEY games per season, you will wind up 1-11 and no Bowl game.
Its either a fat, fat profitable football season or a lousy football team. I don't think you can have it both ways.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:03 pm

I think we make more money at Michie in late October and November because the World Series is about over, the US Open is over and as far as the NBA and the NHL is concerned, early season games for them are non interesting that time of year. Fans are looking for something different before the holidays and Michie Stadium on a nice autumn day does fit the bill.
That is why we have UMASS and VMI late this year without too much loss in late season attendance.
0 x

stash76
New Recruit

Post by stash76 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 pm

I agree with this editorial that that Army needs to dial the scheduling up a notch. Playing another FCS team gets us nowhere.
https://www.dailycaller.com/2019/08/15/ ... eton-2020/
1 x

Mack270
New Recruit

Post by Mack270 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:41 am

I don't have a problem with scheduling a Princeton or any other Ivy. In fact, since Princeton just won their conference and had a damn good 2018, I actually think they are a super interesting opponent for an FCS game (and more interesting than some of our games scheduled this year). I don't even really care they don't count for bowl eligibility (I think we are good enough to win 6 FBS games a year). I just don't like the two FCS games. Maybe it didn't matter last year; but I don't think you can extrapolate one year's results and assume they will hold for all time to come. I think if we were to continue doing that it will come back to bite us at some point in the future; hence why no one else does it. Regardless, it looks like 2020 is set and I'll refrain from b****ing about it anymore.

An interesting point someone brought up on twitter that I hadn't considered is that maybe the whole two FCS thing is something that Coach Monken (not just the AD department) wants. I doubt anyone would ever ask it (or that he would respond to it), but it is something that caused me to think. 2021 is full and only has one FCS opponent, so maybe that will be the policy moving forward? Or not, I guess we'll find out.
1 x

ArmorDude
New Recruit

Post by ArmorDude » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:53 am

Does anyone know why we don't play Georgia Tech? I know we backed out of our home half of the home and home years ago, but with all the recruits from Georgia, that seems like great exposure. I can't imagine Ga Tech could hold a grudge that long...

I'm not sure what connections our coach still has with the team, though.
0 x

FSUBulldog0
New Recruit

Post by FSUBulldog0 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:58 am

ArmorDude wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:53 am
Does anyone know why we don't play Georgia Tech? I know we backed out of our home half of the home and home years ago, but with all the recruits from Georgia, that seems like great exposure. I can't imagine Ga Tech could hold a grudge that long...

In the past Monken has stated that he hoped he never had to coach against Paul Johnson. Now that Johnson retired I’d think Ga Tech might be a school we would schedule. Not sure what the thought is in their end.
0 x

prairie
New Recruit

Post by prairie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:21 pm

ArmorDude wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:53 am

My personal opinion is that GT is not likely to schedule any SA's or TO teams for quite some time.

Growing up in an Atlanta suburb, I was, unfortunately a big GT fan (the smart choice being the Bulldogs.) While GT is no Georgia, they do have a history of success in the college-football-crazy state of Georgia. There was a lot of thought given to whether GT, as an institution, should strive to reclaim national prominence in football and the answer was clearly "YES."

With the hiring of Geoff Collins, GT is clearly and emphatically moving away from the option. Given the current player profiles, the transition may take at least 3 full seasons and they are biting the bullet not to be just "competitive" but for national relevance. The administration and the boosters are committed to this move.

Given that background, I don't think that there is any current appetite to revisit the TO in any form, even if the opponent is attractive. Especially a team like Army which could lay a serious beating on a non-elite team if things go wrong on a given Saturday afternoon.
2 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Our backing out of the Ga Tech game was probably the low of lows for this program in the middle of 20 years of lows. If I was Ga Tech, I wouldn't return the phone call ever again.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:57 pm

I just wish after all this scheduling, the Ivy League would upgrade their status to FBS. These schools sure could afford financially as their endowments are bigger than most other schools.
The presidents of the Ivy schools should upgrade and fill their stadiums and act like they once did 50-60 years ago. It sure would not damage their academic status at all but maybe they all think it would. It wouldn't !!
Then Army could resurrect their once famous rivalries with Penn, Columbia, Dartmouth, etc. Play regional opponents which would help Army draw from a local regional fan base and save money from long trips to Hawai'i and USTA and other far flung teams which Army has no such a rivalry.
I won't happen though. The Ivy presidents could care less about sports at their schools as they have robed themselves in their fancy gowns and their own academic "glory" and that's it.
Sports ,to them, are just a nuisance
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic