FBs

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
RABBLE
New Recruit

Re: FBs

Post by RABBLE » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:39 pm

Sadly our OL is nowhere as effective as last year. We graduated 3 great FBs and when we pass because of the poor blocking of the OL and to some extent the FBs, we aren't very good at that either. There are reasons we have won only 3 of 9 games. Three of 9 is only a third of our win total.
0 x

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:18 am

The announcers yesterday said Buchanan is listed as 270 pounds? He looks solid...but is he really that big? With some more game experience and another off season of conditioning, he could be a beast next year at FB for Army.
0 x

stash76
New Recruit

Post by stash76 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:19 am

I read that Buchanan was a linebacker in HS. I just love the way JM and Viti converts LBs to FBs.
0 x

Mack270
New Recruit

Post by Mack270 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:35 pm

The roster lists him at 178. Which is clearly way way way inaccurate. Whatever his weight, he's a big, bruising dude of a fullback. And he's only a plebe!
0 x

Armyfan
New Recruit

Post by Armyfan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:28 pm

And what do we think of Buchanan??? 6' and 278lbs; he looks like quite a load.
0 x

armyhockeyfan
New Recruit

Post by armyhockeyfan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:12 am

Scrolling through the DVR trying to find something to watch and saw I had recorded a few Army games from years past. One was the Temple game from 2 years ago. Watching the game caused me to get a little nostalgic.

Anyway, from just watching the first few offensive possessions I noted some big differences between then and now.
-Bradshaw is extremely quick with his reads and really fights for extra yards.
-The fullbacks are much more explosive and almost always break the first two tackles.
-The TO is being run so fast it is hard to follow where the ball is.
-We initiate contact and smash the defense in the mouth before they attempt to tackle.

The fullbacks' explosiveness was much better that year than now, hopefully we can get that back soon.

Haven't watched any other games from that year or the next year yet. Would like to hear others opinions on this.
0 x

losttribe
New Recruit

Post by losttribe » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:22 am

armyhockeyfan wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:12 am
Scrolling through the DVR trying to find something to watch and saw I had recorded a few Army games from years past. One was the Temple game from 2 years ago. Watching the game caused me to get a little nostalgic.

Anyway, from just watching the first few offensive possessions I noted some big differences between then and now.
-Bradshaw is extremely quick with his reads and really fights for extra yards.
-The fullbacks are much more explosive and almost always break the first two tackles.
-The TO is being run so fast it is hard to follow where the ball is.
-We initiate contact and smash the defense in the mouth before they attempt to tackle.

The fullbacks' explosiveness was much better that year than now, hopefully we can get that back soon.

Haven't watched any other games from that year or the next year yet. Would like to hear others opinions on this.
I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this:

Hopkins has never been as quick on his reads but last year, a great distributor who also fought for yardage and had the passing ability that Bradshaw never had. This year has been a different story for Kelvin with no one really knowing why.
I don't think either FB has shown much explosiveness...has been a problem. To me, McCoy has better blocking skills and can do more past the line of scrimmage than Slomka but plenty here disagree and love the Sledgehammer's running style. Revamped OL, turnover at QB, not enough emphasis on also using slots...plenty of reasons why this year's FB's haven't taken the next step forward.
Why the offense has seemed much more predictable and workmanlike rather than "now you see it, now you don't"? This year's personnel is not quite as good, injuries, opponents more familiar with the option...again, no easy answer but if you were the D coordinator of a say, Western Kentucky, the formula has been simple...stop the dive, don't worry about a banged up or inexperienced QB beating you with his legs and realize that Army doesn't like to pitch the ball. Ironic: I bet recent opponents have worried as much about Army's passing game as the slotbacks.
Agree 100% on initiating contact...don't know if this is physical or mental...a win over a quality opponent would bring some of that swagger and aggression back.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:43 pm

Maybe we have another, Felix Doc Darnell Blanchfork for the next three years ! ;)
0 x

Dong Fong '09
New Recruit

Post by Dong Fong '09 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:22 am

still think McCoy is slow hitting the hole, and I would rather see him get the ball on a sweep or counter off tackle or outside (i do like his blocking)

I really liked what i saw from all of the other fullbacks...granted it was against UMASS, but it was nice to see us pound our opponent and wear them down over the course of the game

Monken is going to have to make a tough call with our QBs going forward. I really liked what I saw from Laws, Anderson and Jones...Hopkins still looks super slow running the option....if Hopkins is healthy come the navy game and laws has our offense rolling, he may have to make the tough decision and play laws
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:03 pm

hockeyfan-

There is a BIG difference between that Temple version and this years version. We are just plain slower. The team was much more hungry the past three years. We seem to be more passive expecting the wins to come because of our recent past success. The opponents express, to me anyway, more of a will to win this season than we do. I'm not so sure that will has changed even tho we beat a bad UMASS team by a lot of points.
A truer test is when we face Hawai'i under more complicated circumstances. Beating VMI should be a heck of a lot easier than beating Hawai'i and Navy.
The success or lack of, is still to be determined.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic