Remembering

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
RABBLE
New Recruit

Remembering

Post by RABBLE » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:46 pm

Do some of you remember those days when the Saturday after Thanksgiving was the day Army played Navy?

A few years ago now.

Oh, Army is playing a game this year two days after Thanksgiving alright but it's in the Hawai'ian Islands, and not the Navy team we are playing and the game this Saturday is over 4,500 miles away from Philadelphia and its not before 102,000 fans in a worn out old building that was built for the 150th anniversary of our country and played then in near freezing temperatures . It was then known as Susquicentenial Stadium, later called Municipal Stadium and still later JFK Stadium.
It's now Aloha Stadium on the beautiful island of Oahu near Pearl Harbor and the battleship Missouri.
Then it was frost bite and now it's sunburn.

TIMES THEY HAVA CHANGED !!
1 x

armymule
New Recruit

Re: Remembering

Post by armymule » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:50 am

I fondly remember those days in Philly and the great ARMY teams. If only we could turn back the clock ...
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:26 pm

I still have a red brick when they demolished the old stadium as I picked one up at the time. I think I'm overly sentimental on things like that. ;) ;)

Maybe iI should put it up for sale on ebay. :D
0 x

palidog
New Recruit

Post by palidog » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:42 pm

Lets remember that those games were played after Thanksgiving when it was a 9 and 10 game schedule. Now teams are playing 12 and, if you play at Hawaii 13 regular seasons games. So that is another reason for the move. Plus, if we want to be on national TV, the second saturday is the only day that works. Sorry
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic