Looking back over this and ahead to next season

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
oldgrad74
New Recruit

Looking back over this and ahead to next season

Post by oldgrad74 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:36 am

As I reflect on this season (and look ahead to beating Navy), looking back on the schedule I would have said 7-6 is the worst I expected and anything less than that a bad season. I expected (with a high degree of confidence) wins over Rice, UTSA, Morgan St, Ga St, SJSU, UMass & VMI.

I expected us to have 9 wins this year.

From the standards Coach Monken has set - this season, to date, has been very disappointing. One game can change very disappointing to just disappointing.

What about next year? I expect 5 wins with high confidence (Bucknell, Rice, Princeton, UMass & UConn). 5-7 is the worst I would expect. A 5-7 season should result in some shake-up of the staff.

Miami, EMU and Buffalo are all winnable or lose-able games.

Tulane and Oklahoma are probable losses.

AF & Navy - who knows.

I think an OK season in 2020 would be 7-5.
Successful 8-4
Very good 9-3
Great 10-2
Exceptional 11-1
Miraculous 12-0
1 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Re: Looking back over this and ahead to next season

Post by wpgrad » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:54 am

5-7 this year is quite disappointing, but I actually think we are going to suprise navy and finish 6-7. If thats the case, and in 2012 I told you the Army team in 2019 would have 6 wins and beat Navy for the 4th year in a row, you would probably have been thrilled.

Our expectations got out of control too quickly, I think, including my own.

I attribute this season to 2 factors. First, we have alot of injuries. Two big ones to Jones and John Wayne McClintock. Plus we've started 11 lineman including a tight end at Tackle. hopefully both DB's are back for Navy. Second, I think our team expected to be an 11-12 win team, and after the michigan game, there was infighting.

I think we'll get back to a 7-8 win record next year.

and I still think we beat Navy in 2 weeks.
4 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:05 pm

Unless we got some good talent coming up, I expect no better next year. The talent off the 2018 team will be gone next year and it appears to me in most areas, the replenished talent appears not to be as good but we will see. My optimism of 2018 is fading and with my natural propensity of being a pessimist (Murphy's Law) it will be difficult to keep my spirits up ESPECIALLY if we lose the trophy by losing to Navy next week. :?
0 x

kfan12
New Recruit

Post by kfan12 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:21 am

oldgrad74 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:36 am
As I reflect on this season (and look ahead to beating Navy), looking back on the schedule I would have said 7-6 is the worst I expected and anything less than that a bad season. I expected (with a high degree of confidence) wins over Rice, UTSA, Morgan St, Ga St, SJSU, UMass & VMI.

I expected us to have 9 wins this year.

From the standards Coach Monken has set - this season, to date, has been very disappointing. One game can change very disappointing to just disappointing....
This year was a disaster, given the potential of the personnel. I know both SJSU and Ga St were resurgent, but we still should have won those games. Coaching-- play calling, defensive coaching, team motivation, and discipline were all lacking at times. Being at the Ga St game and watching the team plod through the game was disappointing.

I'm not sure what happened to KH...maybe the UM game beat him up psychologically, with another goal line interception that prevented the team from gaining a two score lead in second half and had a lot to do with the loss. And once he got injured, whatever the injury is, his partial availability probably cost Army more than it helped. He should never have been put in that Air Force game. A third or fourth string QB is better than one that can't throw on a good day and can't run because of injury...stoopid coaching decision there. A partially capable and injured starting QB simply isn't a better option than an inexperienced QB at some point.

The final score in the Tulane game was better than the actual performance, kind of the reverse of the HI game. Defense was non existent for 3/4 of that game. Maybe injuries were the culprit, but even with a reasonably aggressive defense, the players couldn't lay a hand on the opposing QB for the most part this entire season. If an average team were to commit to throwing 90% of the time they would have a ball against the pass defense.

Pessimistic about the Navy game...though I personally hold it in no greater regard than any other on the regular season schedule. Navy has a D this year, and I think Army's D is going to spend all day watching Perry's butt headed to the end zone.
0 x
BG

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:57 pm

Does anyone know how many sacks we had this year compared to last year?
That would tell a lot on what happened to us this season and the injuries.
0 x

armyftball
New Recruit

Post by armyftball » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:16 am

RABBLE wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:57 pm
Does anyone know how many sacks we had this year compared to last year?
That would tell a lot on what happened to us this season and the injuries.
2019 stats: https://goarmywestpoint.com/sports/football/stats/2019

2018 stats: https://goarmywestpoint.com/sports/football/stats/2018
0 x

armyftball
New Recruit

Post by armyftball » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:20 am

This is interesting...

Thru 12 Games...

2019 Penalties Offense: 57
2018 Penalties Offense: 56

2019 Penalties Defense: 62
2018 Penalties Defense: 67

Source
2019: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... 9/gamelog/
2018: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... 8/gamelog/
0 x

WrekDivr
New Recruit

Post by WrekDivr » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:09 am

I am looking for a significant improvement next year. It can clearly be done - just look at AF and Navy this year.

Laws should be back and we have some yearlings that played a lot this year. I am confident that JM will take this opportunity to make the necessary adjustments to get back on track.

Expectations were sky high this year and the results are disappointing. To me success is pretty simple: winning record, CIC, bowl game. I think we get back to that level in 2020.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:32 pm

Winning record--NO
CIC Trophy---NO but we still can retain it but we do have to beat a team with a winning record (Navy) which we have not done this year.
Bowl game---NO
Poll rating ---NO

A long winter.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:39 pm

Sacks Against us

2018--- 3 13 games
2019---12 12 games with one to go

4 times as many this year as opposed to last year and we still have a game to go.

That 'aint so good.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic