Question on Spring Training

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Constant69
New Recruit

Question on Spring Training

Post by Constant69 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:03 am

I'm assuming Spring Training has been cancelled, given that the Supe can't even give a target date for when cadets can return to campus or when Commencement will be. But I haven't seen an absolute ban by the NCAA, and I have a suspicion that schools like Oklahoma may not give up quite so easily.

Does anyone have any information on what other schools are doing about Spring Training? Particularly next season's opponents? Any statements out there one way or the other? A differential of 15 days of practice could make a big difference for us come September.
0 x

wp1994
New Recruit

Re: Question on Spring Training

Post by wp1994 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:35 pm

I get there are some dummies out there, but do you really think any school would take a chance on doing some kind of spring football activities? I can’t find the link right now, but as far as I know, the NCAA has put an indefinite hold on all competitions, practices, conditioning, etc. Coaches can stay in touch with athletes and recruits, but cannot do any off-campus recruiting or on-campus hosting. They can provide workouts to athletes for them to do at home, but that’s about it. How the heck would anyone keep a lid on doing anything beyond that?

Beat ‘em!
0 x
Beat 'em!

gabn92
New Recruit

Post by gabn92 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:25 pm

NCAA definitely cancelled all spring events, so nobody is doing any training until further notice. There's no debating that at this point.

What could be interesting is in the optimistic scenario that there is a football season in the fall, what kind of additional practices might the NCAA allow for teams in the summer to make up for no spring practice? How will the handle teams that were able to have some (all?) of their practices vs. teams (like Army) that didn't get a single practice? And for Army with potential summer training requirements, even if the NCAA allowed extra summer practices to make up for the lost spring...would Army be able to get the team there to even take advantage of those extra practices.

I know none of these questions are important in the moment right now, given all that is going on...but perhaps a distraction and discussion about something less important than the life, death and welfare decisions many of us are making these days would be a good tonic.
0 x

Constant69
New Recruit

Re: wp1994, obviously my answer to your question is Yes.

Post by Constant69 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:33 pm

I think I saw the NCAA notice - or was it Patriot League? - that all Spring competitions were cancelled. Was that followed up with cancellation of all activities, training, practice, etc.?

Being a bit more cynical than you, I think in this situation that if there's a loophole that a coach can squeeze through to get a few more days of practice in, someone's going to do it. Although football practice with 6' of social distance is going to look pretty strange.
0 x

FSUBulldog0
New Recruit

Post by FSUBulldog0 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:59 pm

I think it’s pretty clear at this point that no additional spring football will happen. I’ve seen that some discussions regarding allowing additional practices in the fall for teams that didn’t get spring practice but I’m not sure that is viable for cadets due to summer training, assuming summer training happens. Some schools (like Air Force) completed their spring practice before going home. Those schools would not get the extra practices.
0 x

Constant69
New Recruit

Thanks FSU

Post by Constant69 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:26 am

That pretty well answers my question. At least one of our Fall opponents - Air Force - will have the advantage of 15 more days of practice going in. Although by the time we play them in November the advantage should have dissipated a bit.

Going to do a search to see if there are others who finished Spring Practice before the shut-down.
0 x

wpgrad
New Recruit

Post by wpgrad » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:47 pm

For a good part of the 2000's up through 2015, our defensive backs must have been practicing social distancing unintentionally
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic