Football or not?

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
RABBLE
New Recruit

Football or not?

Post by RABBLE »

To me, I do not know how we can have football on the college level or not or any sport for that matter.
Football is a contact sport. It seems to me with so much contact and that appears to be the way covid-19 is transmitted from one person to another and even if the stands are empty the players will get infected sooner or later. It's bound to happen.
Sure, you can protect the fans because they won? For them, there is no protection.
Suppose your two top QBs get the virus after game 1, who then do you play? The game then is not a level game at all. You lose your whole offensive line by game 2, you have no chance to win if your opponent is virus free.
Teams and coaches travel together, eat together and bunk together. To me, we care just asking for a whole lot of trouble here for the sake of "saving" the season.
For what? TV revenue so one revenue sport has some money to run their winter or spring sport?
I see it only to save the bank account from going broke.
It's coming down to the final question-- Your health or the pocketbook.
I gotta take the health. With nearly 100,000 deaths from this, to me, its a no brainer whether we have a season or not. Make the right decision to call the whole thing off until that time we have a safe, proven, effective vaccine to protect us all. This year, next year or whenever.
We licked polio back in my day with a vaccine. We have to do the same now with this latest plague on our hands. Saving money does not save lives. Just my opinion. What is yours?
Down at the Jersey Shore where I live, we see thousands of folks lined up on the boardwalk of every town around here waiting in line to buy their beach badges. Very, very few are even wearing a face mask. I think we will see a spike with all this happening. Restaurants will open. Bars will eventually open and everyone looking for the golden goose of seasonal business. No one is coming down here under a cloud of a quarantine. If they are coming. They come to party and party they will anyway. Any spike in this virus, will close the whole state down again. A rush to judgement the way I see it.
A football season in 100 days? I just don't see it either..
0 x

admin
Site Admin

Re: Football or not?

Post by admin »

I think we'll have games in empty stadiums. My guess is that once a team has one player with the coronavirus, play will stop for that team until the player has recovered and everyone else on the team has tested negative for the virus.
0 x

Army Frog Fan
New Recruit

Post by Army Frog Fan »

Seeing as how the virus is less deadly to college athletes than the flu, I guarantee there will be football.
0 x

ArmyRoadFan7
New Recruit

Post by ArmyRoadFan7 »

RABBLE wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:17 pm
To me, I do not know how we can have football on the college level or not or any sport for that matter.
Football is a contact sport. It seems to me with so much contact and that appears to be the way covid-19 is transmitted from one person to another and even if the stands are empty the players will get infected sooner or later. It's bound to happen.
Sure, you can protect the fans because they won? For them, there is no protection.
Suppose your two top QBs get the virus after game 1, who then do you play? The game then is not a level game at all. You lose your whole offensive line by game 2, you have no chance to win if your opponent is virus free.
Teams and coaches travel together, eat together and bunk together. To me, we care just asking for a whole lot of trouble here for the sake of "saving" the season.
For what? TV revenue so one revenue sport has some money to run their winter or spring sport?
I see it only to save the bank account from going broke.
It's coming down to the final question-- Your health or the pocketbook.
I gotta take the health. With nearly 100,000 deaths from this, to me, its a no brainer whether we have a season or not. Make the right decision to call the whole thing off until that time we have a safe, proven, effective vaccine to protect us all. This year, next year or whenever.
We licked polio back in my day with a vaccine. We have to do the same now with this latest plague on our hands. Saving money does not save lives. Just my opinion. What is yours?
Down at the Jersey Shore where I live, we see thousands of folks lined up on the boardwalk of every town around here waiting in line to buy their beach badges. Very, very few are even wearing a face mask. I think we will see a spike with all this happening. Restaurants will open. Bars will eventually open and everyone looking for the golden goose of seasonal business. No one is coming down here under a cloud of a quarantine. If they are coming. They come to party and party they will anyway. Any spike in this virus, will close the whole state down again. A rush to judgement the way I see it.
A football season in 100 days? I just don't see it either..

If you are under the age of 25 you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than dying of this Wuhan virus. At the very worst they should keep post closed and just have Cadets and family members in attendance for football games. You need to layoff the CNN, there isn't a binary choice of health and pocketbook. You think everything can be shutdown for years waiting for a vaccine that may never come?
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE »

Well... Actually YES. We need the vaccine first. It has killed nearly 100,000 Americans. Easy answer.
0 x

RABBLE
New Recruit

Post by RABBLE »

By the way, Cadet Eugene Byrne on the Army Football team died from injuries playing in an Army game in 1909. West Point cancelled the remainder of the season. 1 Individual !!

Today we lose 100,000 citizens and we want to play football anyway without proper protection.

My, how 100 years makes a big difference in thoughts, words and actions. What the hell has changed us in the interim? Sadly,just about everything I guess. I shows what we are today, doesn't it?
0 x

guppie58
New Recruit

Post by guppie58 »

Army Frog Fan wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:07 am
Seeing as how the virus is less deadly to college athletes than the flu, I guarantee there will be football.
Don't you dare go spouting that off in public! Spreading evidence based truth like that will get you in trouble for spreading "misinformation". Not to mention half the country assumes you want people to die just because you're a realist.
0 x
It doesn't take better players. It takes a better TEAM.

ARMORMAN
New Recruit

Uh, just a small FACT

Post by ARMORMAN »

for those who choose to cry "the sky will fall" if we play football: The flu has a vaccine and still kills about 50,000 people/year in this country.

Think about that, and stop wailing.

Elderly with underlying conditions should not pad up. Just stay home and watch your tv.
1 x

keco616
New Recruit

Post by keco616 »

They HAVE to play a season whether its in fall or January of 2021. Football is the lifeblood of college athletics. Its not a greed play, its that without football maybe half of the student athletes around the country lose their sport/scholarship. There's a greater good in play here as well.
0 x

Armyfan
New Recruit

Post by Armyfan »

Rab, it's a good thing you weren't involved in planning the Normandy invasion...it would have never happened and we might all be speaking German now.
1 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic