Monken's Contract

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.

How much longer will Monken coach Army?

He will move to another job during this off-season
No votes
2022 will be his final year with Army
17%
He will finish his current contract, through the 2023 season
7%
He will sign a contract extension and stay with Army longer-term
76%

Total votes: 29

gabn92
Warrior

Monken's Contract

Post by gabn92 »

In the interest of starting a conversation in this dead period of no college football, how about we talk about Monken's future with Army. I'd hoped we might see a contract extension come after the bowl game or perhaps after the holidays. But...no news again. Troubling sign after last year's scare with Kansas or not a big deal?
0 x
GO 150s 87
Warrior

Re: Monken's Contract

Post by GO 150s 87 »

Monken wants to win another CIC Trophy outright and become the winningest Army HC in the SA series history with 4 trophies. He came so tantalizingly close in 2021. I personally believe 2022 will be a down year, primarily due to the gigantic question mark at QB. That guarantees him staying through his current contract. In my very brief chat with AD Mike Buddie prior to the Bucknell game I was impressed by his complete confidence in having a plan in the works to take care of JM.

As a caveat, KN bought himself another season with the upset win over Army. Otherwise he was gone. 2022 could prove to be his last year should Navy stumble out the gate again and put up another losing season. Then watch for Bohannon from Kennesaw St to take the helm in Squidville.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

I thought at the time that the loss to Navy together with the loss at Ball State might have reduced P5 interest in JM...I don't think the win over Mizzou was enough to counter that. Really believe that performance next year, especially against Coastal Carolina and UTSA out the gate, will tell the tale.
1 x
BG
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

A few points
1) coach ken had some huge wins and he couldnt get an offer amywhere. Arizona wanted to hire him and their QB tweeted “i didnt come to arizona to run no option”
2). If i had to list 4 likely schools to hire monken, they’d be illinois, kansas, duke and vamdy. All of them had openings and Monken couldnt get the job at any of them

Huge are the balls of the AD that hires an option guy. Why risk your job on that type of hire

I dont see monken ever getting hired by a power 5. And i think next year smells like a 4-5 win season which will take the shine off the apple

My guess? When he leaves, it will be a lateral move to a G5 school in florida or Ga simply for family reasons. A USF type of school
1 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

Love the general sense of optimism for Monken sticking around longer and building on his legacy. Hope that happens.

I agree that KN saved his job with the win this year against Army. Will be interesting to see how Navy does next year.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

I think it is a very big risk for any AD to take a risk on hiring an option coach. If any option coach would even attempt to hire a Monken, a Niumatalolo , or a Calhoun, the uproar from the alumni, players and the boosters would be so loud that it would blow the doors off of the AD's office. No AD would take the chance.
Why would he? You lose your first 4 of 5 games the first year and the AD would be so far gone from his office that he could not even get a job on the island of Tonga.
This is the reason why all threes academy coaches are staying where they are.
All have good relationships with their schools and have adequate salary arrangements with their institutions on a comparative basis with MOST of the other FBS schools.
All three have it made where they now coach.
If Monken ever wants to create a legacy as a coach, he has already laid the foundation right here at West Point. He would set the all-time record as the winningest coach in winning the CIC trophy. He could reach the lofty goal of breaking Blaik's all- time 121- win record, a distinct possibility with good records on a consistent basis.
He coaches the Best of the Best in the quality of his players. Believe me, NO other school outside of the SA's can say that. He has the most beautiful setup in housing and accommodations in the upgraded "Blaik House" right on post. No one can bother him in the least where he lives. Quiet, peaceful and enjoyable for him, his wife Beth and their three daughters. No outside interferences if so desired.
Why in god's name would he want to start all over again at a big, boisterous and selfish bunch of alumni at a large state school with noise, interruptions from fans, boosters and news people knocking on his door probably located on a city street where he would live?
OK, maybe the south is warmer but that is about it. That is why we have a gorgeous field house steps from his home here. He doesn't even have to get in his car to go to work. He has a few minute walk over Lusk over a beautiful bridge looking across the pond with the beautiful sun rising over it.
OK, maybe he could command a 4-5 million salary but for how long? 3-4 years and if another school wanted him the first place AND if he doesn't meet expectations, he is out on his ear at let's say 58. He doesn't want to retire at 58 and if he doesn't want to retire that early, where is he going to go to demand such an income as he would get where he was before he was let go?
At West Point he is set to make that steady income year after year for as long as he wants to stay here which I hope would be another 10-12 years where he can then retire knowing the legacy he has finally built here at West Pont. Yes, he would break Earl Blaiks all-time winning record and would have a beautiful 9 -foot statue placed in front of our new east stand entrance right next to the 9- foot statue of Red Blaik.,

In the immortal words of George Gipp who once said before his death, " I don't know where I'll be in 10 years coach, but I will know, and I'll be happy."

One vote from RABBLE to keep him here right here on the Banks of the Hudson until he retires down South with the family he loves.
3 x
JKillerK
Warrior

Post by JKillerK »

Well said Rabble.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

wpgrad wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:06 pm A few points
1) coach ken had some huge wins and he couldnt get an offer amywhere. Arizona wanted to hire him and their QB tweeted “i didnt come to arizona to run no option”
2). If i had to list 4 likely schools to hire monken, they’d be illinois, kansas, duke and vamdy. All of them had openings and Monken couldnt get the job at any of them

Huge are the balls of the AD that hires an option guy. Why risk your job on that type of hire

I dont see monken ever getting hired by a power 5. And i think next year smells like a 4-5 win season which will take the shine off the apple

My guess? When he leaves, it will be a lateral move to a G5 school in florida or Ga simply for family reasons. A USF type of school
The front end of Army's 2022-23 schedule is tough. Within the first five games Army faces four bowl teams. Coastal Carolina (11-2) and UTSA (12-2) both received votes in the final polls. Villanova went 10-3 and lost in the quarterfinals of the FCS playoff. Ga State finished 8-5. and Wake (11-3) finished in the top 20 this year. Combined records of our first five opponents: 52-15.

The back end is easier, theoretically, but Air Force is in the mix. Their records: Colgate (5-6), ULM (4-8, could be a tough out), Air Force (10-3 ), Troy (5-7), UConn (1-11), UMass (1-11) rounding out with Navy (4-8).

I think Army can beat all of them. If I had to bet, I'd go with 8-4 or 9-3 when the regular season ends. The potential to either go undefeated or miss a bowl opportunity is significant however.
0 x
BG
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

If the teams on next year's schedule hold serve, we will see just how great Monken and the staff is. That will be a tough schedule and any bowl game will be well-earned.
1 x
21-17!
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

kfan12 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:40 am
wpgrad wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:06 pm A few points

The front end of Army's 2022-23 schedule is tough. Within the first five games Army faces four bowl teams. Coastal Carolina (11-2) and UTSA (12-2) both received votes in the final polls. Villanova went 10-3 and lost in the quarterfinals of the FCS playoff. Ga State finished 8-5. and Wake (11-3) finished in the top 20 this year. Combined records of our first five opponents: 52-15.

The back end is easier, theoretically, but Air Force is in the mix. Their records: Colgate (5-6), ULM (4-8, could be a tough out), Air Force (10-3 ), Troy (5-7), UConn (1-11), UMass (1-11) rounding out with Navy (4-8).

I think Army can beat all of them. If I had to bet, I'd go with 8-4 or 9-3 when the regular season ends. The potential to either go undefeated or miss a bowl opportunity is significant however.
I hope you are right. 0-5 start not only wouldnt suprise me, it would also likely sour the team which might impact performance the rest of the way. Hopefully I’m wrong
1 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic