NEW Details - Spring Break Coke Incident

Discussing non-sports military trends and news, military history, military technology, veterans benefits. World news and possible effects on the military. New ships, tanks, etc. Everything military. No classified material, please.
ArmyRedLeg
Warrior

NEW Details - Spring Break Coke Incident

Post by ArmyRedLeg »

LoneStar pointed out a helpful MilitaryTimes article (link at bottom) which led me to analyzing the actual indictment of the drug dealer (USA v. Casseus). I posted my initial thoughts on the "crisis" thread- but I think it is a bit buried, so I want to make a fresh thread for people to comment. BLUF - I think this can get much worse for West Point / Army football. Hear me out:

Its clear the DEA think 6 people willfully intended to ingest cocaine - this is based on a quote from the indictment:

"After completing the transaction, Victim 1 and Victim 2 brought the cocaine in to the Wilton Manors residence and cut a portion of it into seven(7) lines for them and their friends to ingest. Eyewitness testimony further advised that once the six(6) individuals ingested the suspect cocaine, they began to show signs of overdosing."

If there was CPR etc. it would read much different - example "four(4) individuals ingested the suspect cocaine and two (2) other individuals rushed to provide life saving support, but also began showing signs of overdosing"

Next, some key takeaways:
-Victim 1, when texting with the alleged coke dealer, identified himself "Tampa2". I'm sure most know what Tampa 2 is in the context of football - could be a coincidence though?
-Victim 1 was persistent trying to obtain an 8ball from this dealer- texting over a 24 hour period attempting to get the cocaine with the first drop off attempt failing. The drug dealer was very busy with other customers.
-Victims paid in cash. While the specific amount was not flagged, in a separate deal, two 8balls from this dealer cost $1000.
-The dealer said they cut the 'cocaine' with baking soda before selling it
-Lab analysis found "traces" of coke and fentanyl

Based on this indictment, the DEA is painting a clear picture this was a thought-out and an intentional act by the "Victims" to buy the cocaine. They had cash ready and sought the drug dealer over a 24hr period.

Frankly, its in the interest of West Point and Army Football that "G" "Giovany" AKA the drug dealer, takes a plea deal.

If not, these West Point cadets could find themselves on the stand explaining everything going through their minds. I don't expect that to be a pretty scene - especially if Drug Dealer "G" gets a good attorney.

Finally, I take offense to the DEA using the term "Victim" to describe the buyers of the 'suspect coke' (even if that is standard) - these individuals were seeking drugs, so not victims in my opinion.

It also creates an interesting argument for a defense to frame - who is really the victim here?

https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... tment.html?
0 x
3seconddelay
Warrior

Re: NEW Details - Spring Break Coke Incident

Post by 3seconddelay »

This is getting old. Let’s talk football. If you want to keep playing Perry Mason private message me and I’ll put you in touch with the lawyer who is defending one of the cadets.

Guaranteed there will be articles about it in the Daily Beast the week before A/N this year. Just like the alleged misconduct against Bradshaw a few years back. Buying and taking illegal drugs is worse than the AF full-back buying with intent to distribute and recruiting his teammates to deal for him? I think not.

In 1986 six cadets got busted with a kilo of cocaine in Grant Barracks. West Point still hasn’t recovered from that bad press. /s. In 2017 there was another big illicit substance incident that resulted in Leavenworth time. Look it up. Now the Egg Nog Riot, that got a little out of hand…

Drugs have been a thing at West Point and all the Academies for longer than either of us have been alive. Not good. But the spring break incident is not going to result in some big reckoning. There’s nothing you can say to change my mind about it. It’s obvious that you are sure it will and nothing I can say is going to change your mind about it. I’ve said all I’m going to say about the subject.

Can’t wait for the opener! Golf, Game, Golf.
0 x
Dude69
Warrior

Post by Dude69 »

Now that we have a description of a typical amateur drug deal and the going rate for an 8 ball of crappy coke….

What is your end game on this topic man? The academy haters (the left) have information dominance. Pretty much. They will take any and every opportunity to attempt to embarrass and/or defame anyone, anything, any idea, any institution etc. that they don’t agree with or like.

This incident will not be an exception. So what is your point or end game? Your obsession with this topic has reached clinical status. For your own safety please seek help. I wish you well and feel deeply for the talking doctor that takes your case.
1 x
ArmyRedLeg
Warrior

Post by ArmyRedLeg »

Dude69 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:02 am This incident will not be an exception. So what is your point or end game?
I'm making sure no one misses the train. New info, new post.

I don't agree that because there were past drug problems and that AF had a big one that Army is magically in the clear.

I posted this info because the MilTimes article left out details from the indictment that are relevant. I'm relaying facts - and given the Federal case - I suspect this could get worse / more embarrassing from a publicity standpoint.
Dude69 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:02 am The academy haters (the left) have information dominance. Pretty much. They will take any and every opportunity to attempt to embarrass and/or defame anyone, anything, any idea, any institution etc. that they don’t agree with or like.

For your own safety please seek help. I wish you well and feel deeply for the talking doctor that takes your case.
While you try to paint a picture I'm crazed or obsessed - you and others on this forum are resigned to blaming the inevitable public embarrassment from the media on the "left" or some agenda against Army. Good grief.
0 x
Dude69
Warrior

Post by Dude69 »

So the letters F O mean anything to you?
0 x
ArmyRedLeg
Warrior

Post by ArmyRedLeg »

Dude69 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:38 pm So the letters F O mean anything to you?
Forward Observer! Fire Mission!...L50, D50, Fire for Effect!

However, in this context, I suspect you mean something else. So, on that note, I want to make it clear my intent here was to provide information that may not be readily available from other sources. If that information is not of interest to you, feel free to ignore me. The best way to form an accurate assessment is thru the sharing of accurate, verified information, some of which may not be comfortable to read.
0 x
ArmyRedLeg
Warrior

Post by ArmyRedLeg »

For those interested- drug dealer is being represented by a public defender as of yesterday - she is Georgetown Law grad.

Jury trial set for 6/6/2022 - but I doubt it will move that fast - these are often delayed.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

ArmyRedLeg wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:37 pm LoneStar pointed out a helpful MilitaryTimes article (link at bottom) which led me to analyzing the actual indictment of the drug dealer (USA v. Casseus). I posted my initial thoughts on the "crisis" thread- but I think it is a bit buried, so I want to make a fresh thread for people to comment. BLUF - I think this can get much worse for West Point / Army football. Hear me out:

Its clear the DEA think 6 people willfully intended to ingest cocaine - this is based on a quote from the indictment:

"After completing the transaction, Victim 1 and Victim 2 brought the cocaine in to the Wilton Manors residence and cut a portion of it into seven(7) lines for them and their friends to ingest. Eyewitness testimony further advised that once the six(6) individuals ingested the suspect cocaine, they began to show signs of overdosing."

If there was CPR etc. it would read much different - example "four(4) individuals ingested the suspect cocaine and two (2) other individuals rushed to provide life saving support, but also began showing signs of overdosing"

Next, some key takeaways:
-Victim 1, when texting with the alleged coke dealer, identified himself "Tampa2". I'm sure most know what Tampa 2 is in the context of football - could be a coincidence though?
-Victim 1 was persistent trying to obtain an 8ball from this dealer- texting over a 24 hour period attempting to get the cocaine with the first drop off attempt failing. The drug dealer was very busy with other customers.
-Victims paid in cash. While the specific amount was not flagged, in a separate deal, two 8balls from this dealer cost $1000.
-The dealer said they cut the 'cocaine' with baking soda before selling it
-Lab analysis found "traces" of coke and fentanyl

Based on this indictment, the DEA is painting a clear picture this was a thought-out and an intentional act by the "Victims" to buy the cocaine. They had cash ready and sought the drug dealer over a 24hr period.

Frankly, its in the interest of West Point and Army Football that "G" "Giovany" AKA the drug dealer, takes a plea deal.

If not, these West Point cadets could find themselves on the stand explaining everything going through their minds. I don't expect that to be a pretty scene - especially if Drug Dealer "G" gets a good attorney.

Finally, I take offense to the DEA using the term "Victim" to describe the buyers of the 'suspect coke' (even if that is standard) - these individuals were seeking drugs, so not victims in my opinion.

It also creates an interesting argument for a defense to frame - who is really the victim here?

https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... tment.html?
Thanks for the link.

I surmise they are deemed "victims" at least in part because they didn't intentionally seek fentanyl.

How much press this gets in the future is likely inversely proportional to the scale of whatever else is in the news as next season starts and as the A/N game approaches.
0 x
BG
ArmyRedLeg
Warrior

Post by ArmyRedLeg »

Jury Trial is now set for 6/21/2022 09:00 AM in Miami Division before Judge Beth Bloom.

However, drug dealer's public defender has requested a 90-day continuance - which would take the trial date to September. Evidently, public defender is yet to meet with her client because of COVID restrictions:

"Undersigned counsel requires time to receive the discovery, investigate the case, meet in person with Mr. Casseus and otherwise work toward the best resolution of the case. Due to the restrictions resulting from Covid-19 in person visitation at the Federal Detention Center in Miami are more time-consuming to set up and effectuate than in pre-pandemic times. "
0 x
ArmyRedLeg
Warrior

Post by ArmyRedLeg »

A few updates.
1) Drug dealer now has an additional public defender to his counsel - another experienced one (6+ years as a public defender). His other attorney has nearly 13 years as a public defender.
2) Judge granted the continuance and the trial is set for September 26th - this is the week leading up the the Georgia St game.

"THIS CAUSE is set for Criminal Jury Trial at the Wilkie D. Ferguson, Jr., Courthouse, 400 North Miami Avenue, Courtroom 10-2, Miami, Florida, during the two-week period commencing at 9:00 a.m. on September 26, 2022, or as soon thereafter as the case may be called. A Calendar Call will be held at 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 20, 2022 at the Wilkie D. Ferguson Jr., Courthouse, 400 North Miami Avenue, Courtroom 10-2, Miami, Florida. The deadline for the tendering of any guilty pleas is set for September 16, 2022."

I will keep posting updates, etc - but I don't expect too much news in the immediate future. Drug dealer could retain private counsel- and depending on who that is, could be interesting. Outside of that, his public defenders will need to sort out a lot case facts and consider if a plea deal is in drug dealer's best interests. If not, and this case goes to trial, there will be many updates and options to weigh - but likely closer to September / start of season.
0 x
Locked Previous topicNext topic