NEW Details - Spring Break Coke Incident

Discussing non-sports military trends and news, military history, military technology, veterans benefits. World news and possible effects on the military. New ships, tanks, etc. Everything military. No classified material, please.
ArmorDude
Warrior

Re: NEW Details - Spring Break Coke Incident

Post by ArmorDude »

ArmyRedLeg wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:40 am Yesterday, Judge granted an unopposed protective order on discovery materials from the DA.
Protective Order for appropriate protections against widespread dissemination of the
discovery materials and the sensitive information contained therein, which will be disclosed in the
above-captioned matter.
The granted request goes on to state:
The discovery in this case involves the name and personal identifiers of the two identified victims, as well as witnesses and other individuals who suffered from injuries resulting from the consumption of fentanyl. In an attempt to protect this sensitive information in the discovery materials, the United States proposes the following restrictions on the disclosure and use of the discovery materials in this case:
1. Counsel of record for the defendant shall hold the discovery materials in strict
confidence, disclosing this information to the defendant, office staff, investigators, and witnesses
(including any experts) only to the extent they believe is necessary to assist in the defense of this
matter.
2. Counsel of record for the defendant shall advise any person to whom the discovery
materials are disclosed that, pursuant to the attached Protective Order, the information must be
held in strict confidence and the recipient may not further disclose or disseminate the information.
3. The government will specify what portions of the discovery are confidential/sensitive and therefore covered by the order by marking those pages confidential/sensitive.
4. Counsel of record for the defendant shall obtain a certification from each person to
whom the discovery materials are disclosed, except the defendant, in which the recipient (a)
acknowledges the restrictions set forth in the Protective Order, and (b) agrees that he will not
disclose or disseminate the information without the express consent of defense counsel. Counsel
shall keep a copy of each certification to identify the individuals who received the discovery
materials and the date on which such information was first disclosed.
In the granting the order- Judge stipulates conditions of strict confidence / sharing of materials, concluding:
Defense counsel agrees that, when this case is over, it will destroy (or return to the
Government) the Confidential discovery it received.
Maybe they should have thought about this confidentiality thing before posting the password for the USB drive an SnapFace or whatever ....
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

Dupe deleted
Last edited by kfan12 on Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
BG
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

kfan12 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:39 pm
ArmyRedLeg wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:40 am Yesterday, Judge granted an unopposed protective order on discovery materials from the DA.
Protective Order for appropriate protections against widespread dissemination of the
discovery materials and the sensitive information contained therein, which will be disclosed in the
above-captioned matter.
The granted request goes on to state:
The discovery in this case involves the name and personal identifiers of the two identified victims, as well as witnesses and other individuals who suffered from injuries resulting from the consumption of fentanyl. In an attempt to protect this sensitive information in the discovery materials, the United States proposes the following restrictions on the disclosure and use of the discovery materials in this case:.....

3. The government will specify what portions of the discovery are confidential/sensitive and therefore covered by the order by marking those pages confidential/sensitive......
In the granting the order- Judge stipulates conditions of strict confidence / sharing of materials, concluding:
Defense counsel agrees that, when this case is over, it will destroy (or return to the
Government) the Confidential discovery it received.
1. I sort of expect a plea deal here.
2. Para 3 is most important if this goes to court. If I'm a defense attorney I fight pretty hard to insure the state doesn't try to specify the names of the people involved as confidential. There really is no valid reason I can think of for protecting their names.
0 x
BG
ArmyRedLeg
Warrior

Post by ArmyRedLeg »

One point of clarification - the below should state If the order is granted. The motion is unopposed - so I don't see why Judge would disagree. However, Judge may not think people buying drugs should be protected?

In any event, the DA already exposed one of the names in a filing, so maybe they are trying to do a better job now?
0 x
ArmyRedLeg
Warrior

Post by ArmyRedLeg »

As expected, Judge officially granted the protective order on "REGULATING DISCLOSURE OF DISCOVERY AND SENSITIVE INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN"
0 x
ArmyRedLeg
Warrior

Post by ArmyRedLeg »

New filing today. Case is taking an interesting turn. Drug dealer wants nothing to do with his public defenders and is refusing to speak with them, despite "many times" trying
Counsel has attempted to meet with and communicate with Mr. Casseus many times
since being appointed. Counsel has been informed by the guards at FDC that Mr. Casseus has
refused such meeting requests
So the rub here is that if counsel cannot meet with drug dealer, its a problem for adequate representation - hence the drug dealer's court appointed counsel has requested a meeting with Judge to discuss.
counsel respectfully requests this Honorable Court to set a date for a
hearing on the status regarding counsel in this case.
More to follow - however, for the alleged Army football player cocaine enthusiasts and Army culture warriors, this is probably a good sign as this trial will likely not involve witnesses testifying. However, lots can change.
0 x
ArmyRedLeg
Warrior

Post by ArmyRedLeg »

Judge agrees they need to talk - meeting is set for 8/16/2022.
Status Conference set for 8/16/2022 at 09:30 AM in Miami Division
In thinking this through a bit more, I believe drug dealer not cooperating with court appointed counsel means striking a plea deal to avoid trial will be harder / less likely.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

I have moved on. As a matter of fact, I never started on this subject. I stick to the sport of Army Football. All other matters, stick with an appropriate forum. Not this one.
0 x
2mint
Warrior

Post by 2mint »

More to follow - however, for the alleged Army football player cocaine enthusiasts and Army culture warriors, this is probably a good sign as this trial will likely not involve witnesses testifying. However, lots can change.
And bad news for the histrionic drama queens looking to make mountains out of molehills.
1 x
ArmyRedLeg
Warrior

Post by ArmyRedLeg »

RABBLE wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:12 pm I have moved on. As a matter of fact, I never started on this subject. I stick to the sport of Army Football. All other matters, stick with an appropriate forum. Not this one.
Rabble - can you explain how this is not appropriate for this forum? This relates to Army football, no?
1 x
Locked Previous topicNext topic