And then we were down to 1

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
PrideandDream
Warrior

And then we were down to 1

Post by PrideandDream »

So a lot hangs in the balance for this last one:

1. The obvious a win over Navy means we at least beat our main Rival
2. It evens up the season record at 6-6 which at least gets us out of the losing season column but about like a tie in my opinion
3. Maybe it puts us in contention for a bowl? I doubt it and haven't studied the possibility but with over 40 bowls who knows.
4. We will get to see how we have grown or adjusted since Air Force.
5. We find out just how desperate this team is to win!

I'm sure we can add to this list but just a few thoughts.

I thought Tyler played pretty well yesterday. It obviously helped to have an o line that was moving the line of scrimmage against a bad UMASS team. And like Armorman I was impressed with our more junior B Backs. Was glad to see them running low, hard, and fast. We've struggled in this position this year for many reasons, o line, injuries, etc. I do think we need to get back to bigger o lineman and smaller b backs. Buchanan is great in short yardage and he can move the pile but he's not an every down back. Neither is Riley. Regardless, without better O line play none of the backs (QB, B, Slot or A) will look that good. Interesting yesterday we really didn't go outside either only a few carries for the slots. Which is the same we've seen the last few weeks. but when QB/FB is working then we have options. Good to see Tyler make a few throws too and how about that catch by Alston? Made the ESPN top plays last night. Good for him. Lastly, we need to find an extra point kicker and fast or we had better just get a group of about 5 or 6 two point plays we can execute.

Anyway, I will wait with bated breath to see both how we play in Philly and what the weather will be like. Will be there in person win or lose to see the outcome.

PD
0 x
ColdWarYushok87
Warrior

Re: And then we were down to 1

Post by ColdWarYushok87 »

Agree on most of your takes here. Good to see the playbook opened up yesterday too. The real question for me is, will it remain open in two weeks or will we be back to running up the middle on every play?

Navy has been good against the run. We need to be firing on all cylinders.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

Yesterday’s game was interesting from a play calling standpoint. We tried our slot backs wide early and didn’t get much. Murphy, who ran well the last few weeks, had 2 Carrie’s for -5 yards. The dive and QB runs were working, so we kept running them, then mixed in the pass a bit. I thought the play selection made sense most of the time. I do hope that BD doesn’t assume that yesterday means that going outside won’t work. I think the inside plays worked because we were willing to go outside at the start of the game.

BEAT NAVY!
0 x
FSUBulldog0
Warrior

Post by FSUBulldog0 »

We were down quite a few slot backs yesterday. I noticed that Riley was lined up at SB quite a bit, providing almost another OL or TE on the edge and helping to provide running room for Tyler. It will be interesting to see if we go with the blunt force trauma approach against Navy with two FBs on the field, one lined up in the slot.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic