Monken appears to be here for life

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
wpgrad
Warrior

Monken appears to be here for life

Post by wpgrad »

If Monken was ever going to leave for a power 5 job, the most likely candidates would be Vandy, Ga Tech, Kansas, Nebraska and Illinois.

All 5 jobs have been open in the last 2 years, and he hasn't gotten a sniff. As I"ve said, huge are the balls that will hire an option guy.

I personally still feel that his eventual departure will be to a southern Group of 5 school, like USF or FAU or someplace like that....but....it appears we may very well have coach monken for life.

My post-AF fears appear to have been wrong. Now..hopefully we can beat Navy, get in a bowl, win that game too...and then perhaps some changes forthcoming over the winter.
0 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Re: Monken appears to be here for life

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

i hope he's the coach for life, but he needs to make some assistant coaching changes after the season regardless of the outcome of the navy game
1 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

Hope you are right, wpgrad. Despite significant frustrations this year, I remain a strong JM fan. Not only has he made us into a winning program again, he is a great representative and component of WP overall.

I am more pessimistic in our chances at a bowl, however, for 3 reasons:

1. After we whip the squids, we will have 5 qualifying wins since only one of our FCS wins counts. This means that we won’t be bowl eligible at 6-6.
2. The bowl selection announcements will happen on December 4, a week before we play the Squids. At that time we will only have 4 bowl-qualifying wins.
3. There are 41 bowl games requiring 82 teams. 79 teams are currently bowl eligible, leaving 3 slots for non-eligible teams. Buffalo could become eligible if they beat Akron on Friday (they are 11.5 point favorites). So there will be 2-3 slots available for teams that aren’t bowl-eligible. The next criteria is Academic Progress Rate (APR). There are 4 teams that are 5-7 that are ahead of Army in APR: Rice, UNLV, Michigan State, and Auburn.

There is a small chance that we could get a waiver from the NCAA to count the second FCS win which would then send us to the Independence bowl, per our contract.
0 x
Coach MC
Warrior

Post by Coach MC »

Would have been so much easier if Navy were 5-6. Then you simply invite the winner of the Army-Navy game to appear in the Independence Bowl, assuming we were granted said waiver.

Rice is a big time academic school, but how do UNLV, Michigan State, and Auburn have higher APRs than we do? I'm guessing it's the "slightly less rigorous" curriculum and possibly inflated grades.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

Coach MC wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:46 pm Would have been so much easier if Navy were 5-6. Then you simply invite the winner of the Army-Navy game to appear in the Independence Bowl, assuming we were granted said waiver.
Spot on, Coach. It is always the Squids fault!
0 x
Go Frogs
Warrior

Post by Go Frogs »

I saw the below info on Instagram. I have no way to validate it...

This was sent to me by someone who has a contact with ESPN The email was from the ESPN employee and , hopefully, this will end the debate about whether or not we will go bowling:
"Hope you have a great Thanksgiving. Appreciate the link to the complete story - sent it to the ESPN CEO for the Armed Forces Bowl - will keep on him to use it and also send it to Independence Bowl - Shreveport - for 23 Dec game - Army under contract when they beat UMass and navy!!"
And that, folks is that, now we focus on beating Navy!
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic