Army denied bowl

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
WrekDivr
Warrior

Re: Army denied bowl

Post by WrekDivr »

Agree, ArmorDude. The answer is pretty simple: beat someone. We had first half leads vs UTSA, AF, and Troy. Win one of those and we are in. As much as I hate to admit it, we didn’t earn a bowl bid this year.
1 x
Justafan11
Warrior

Post by Justafan11 »

I agree that Army does not deserve a bowl this year but I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts regarding the transfer portal as it relates to bowl games. Just read an article that North Carolina may withdraw from their bowl because they are unable to field a competitive team with so many of their players in the transfer portal. The NCAA needs to get its act together - this transfer portal situation is a mess.
1 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

ArmorDude wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:45 am
Oliphant wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:32 pm Kind of crappy since we were forced to play 2 FCS teams thanks to Tennessee bailing on us.
Pretty sure we would have taken the L there, no?

I think that Hooker would have had a pretty good day against what we put out there and call pass defense ...
Of course.

My point is, we didn't plan on playing two FCS teams. The rule is there to prevent teams from getting 6 wins via the easier path of two FCS teams. We only played Nova because Tennessee quit on us at the last minute. We didn't have a choice if we wanted 12 games.

It is not like 2023 or 2025 where we are planning on playing two FCS teams from the start.
0 x
21-17!
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Oliphant wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:35 am
Oliphant wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:32 pm Kind of crappy since we were forced to play 2 FCS teams thanks to Tennessee bailing on us.

I think that Hooker would have had a pretty good day against what we put out there and call pass defense ...
Of course.

My point is, we didn't plan on playing two FCS teams. The rule is there to prevent teams from getting 6 wins via the easier path of two FCS teams. We only played Nova because Tennessee quit on us at the last minute. We didn't have a choice if we wanted 12 games.

It is not like 2023 or 2025 where we are planning on playing two FCS teams from the start.
Or 2016, where we played 2 from the start and went to a bowl. Or 2018, where we played 2 from the start and went to a bowl and ended the year 19th so obviously the AP voters didn't care.

I say again, if we can't win 5 games against our crappy schedule that EVERYBODY on this board seems to complain about, we don't deserve to go to a bowl game.

And, playing 1 FCS instead of 2 this year doesn't help us, cause we'd have lose the extra FBS game anyways.
1 x
FSUBulldog0
Warrior

Post by FSUBulldog0 »

Oliphant wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:35 am

Of course.

I’m not sure we planned to play 2 FCS teams in 2023 either but Ball State was on the schedule and then disappeared. Not sure what the situation was with that game.
1 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

Scrap the transfer portal.
I say a player wants to transfer, let him sit out a year but in that year, that year IS a year like using a year of eligibility.
Let these guys realize that if you want to transfer, it will cost you big time.
Yeah, a year of eligibility.
0 x
Mastergate
Warrior

Post by Mastergate »

Can't think which team Army had scheduled but when they were moving to the sec they we're told could not so they scheduled ball st and they cancelled game with Army
1 x
Armyfaninpa
Warrior

Post by Armyfaninpa »

RABBLE wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:59 pm Scrap the transfer portal.
I say a player wants to transfer, let him sit out a year but in that year, that year IS a year like using a year of eligibility.
As long as the coaches can come and go as they please, I don't see any reason why the players can't. The FBS as amateur athletics train left the station a long time ago.
0 x
ArmorDude
Warrior

Post by ArmorDude »

Armyfaninpa wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:23 am
RABBLE wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:59 pm Scrap the transfer portal.
As long as the coaches can come and go as they please, I don't see any reason why the players can't. The FBS as amateur athletics train left the station a long time ago.
I can see a middle ground here - if the coach leaves, then the players should be allowed to transfer. If the coach doesn't leave, and they are just looking for greener pastures, then they have to sit a year (maybe/maybe not lose a year of eligibility).
0 x
Go Frogs
Warrior

Post by Go Frogs »

My bet is a team currently planning on going to a bowl will need to drop out because they are losing so many players to the transfer portals. Look at UNC yesterday...9 players leaving.

Army may still have a chance.... Long shot, but still not totally out of the question.
1 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic