New Rule

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

New Rule

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

I think this should be grandfathered for people that were recruited before this new policy is in place.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... d/35264496
0 x
ArmyRoadFan7
Warrior

Re: New Rule

Post by ArmyRoadFan7 »

It’s all Trump’s fault
0 x
Army Frog Fan
Warrior

Post by Army Frog Fan »

I think it should be taken out of the bill altogether. The sole reason it is in there is to reverse a Trump policy. Someone included it into a defense spending bill because they knew the bill would pass without people reading it. Which it did, and which is why people are only now realizing what's about to get passed.
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

It's all politics and optics. Would love to know who actually put this in the bill. Who exactly does this help?

My personal feeling is that the back and forth at some point is going to trigger some kind of litigation and just like NIL it's gonna be bad for SA football. It will be hard to justify limiting players of any sport from going pro when the academies are making millions on the efforts of these kids. Don't get me wrong USMA or our sister academies are a great education and a tremendous opportunity but we can't pretend that the value of a football player at any academy isn't worth more than the average Cadet or Midshipmen. Purely due to the money that is raised through football and all the things it ultimately supports at the academies. It is the path of most resistance but it is also the path that generates significant value to all academies. And the longer we go back and forth with policies like this with the politicians the worse for us. At least that's what I think. Be interested to hear other points on this.

PD
0 x
Dude69
Warrior

Post by Dude69 »

Welcome to DC. The most corrupt place on planet earth.
1 x
Tanker79
Warrior

Post by Tanker79 »

Mike Gallagher, Republican rep from Wisconsin. Apparently they are looking at a provision to grandfather current players.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -carter-ii
0 x
2mint
Warrior

Post by 2mint »

And there may be more help on the way to over turn this with the upcoming Congress. While I get the philosophy, we make exceptions for world class athletes and scholars (Rhodes, Marshall, etc.). You could make the teams that draft them have to reimburse the government for the education? And frankly the argument that they’re taking another slot doesn’t hold water as the slot is already gone if they attend and eventually quit.

https://twitter.com/WesleyHuntTX/status ... LE_MEsAAAA

On a side note, Rep. Hunt will be joining 2 classmates in the next session of Congress.
0 x
ArmorDude
Warrior

Post by ArmorDude »

Not sure why this was included. Maybe Gallagher is a never trumper. Or he couldn’t get into an academy. This impacts 1 or 2 people a year across all academies.
2 x
hiangle6
Warrior

Post by hiangle6 »

This subject has really caused quite the back and forth on the bird app. Some of the opposition appears to be legit principled opposition to cadets doing anything other than serve after graduation, but quite frankly a lot of it seems to be general dislike and opposition towards the service academies broadly and service academy football in particular. Seems they are OK with the WCAP, or folks going off to Oxford for a couple of years, but God forbid some young man once in a decade gets a chance to play football at the highest level. Lot's of "hate us because they ain't us" out there as well. Hope he gets his chance.
2 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

I personally think everyone should serve their required years before they go to Oxford or play professional sports but I am in the minority.
0 x
21-17!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic