Per Sal, current TE Coach Drinkall is the new Army OC...

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
wpgrad
Warrior

Re: Per Sal, current TE Coach Drinkall is the new Army OC...

Post by wpgrad »

I am told we’ll see mostly shotgun. Pistol type formation with 2 backs, 3rd “back” lined up near line, qb 4 yards back.

Sorta what you see coastal carolina run

And we’ll see more short passes to the outside

I am told the new formation along with short passes is the workaround to get more on the edges in response to the new cut block rules
1 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

This new offense only goes 1 of 2 ways. Either it is a success due to its uniqueness or it will be a total failure.

My gut tends to tell me that the scheme here won't matter. Unless we can somehow fix the o line play which was not good this year. Maybe because guys were young. Maybe because it was Viti's first year. Maybe because of a rift in the staff. Maybe it is a talent issue. Or maybe it's a development issue. I'm not entirely sure. I just know from watching our o line this year they aren't good and consistently get beat at the point of attack.

Not sure what to make of these offensive "promotions". Really hard to fathom title changes for a group that was consistently lackluster. On top of that you are bringing in a new coordinator all the while elevating the assistants on that side? Seems odd.

I watched AF last night run everything under center. They ran the FB 37 times. And executed the triple from under center vs Baylor all night long. The O line was consistently getting push at the point of attack and they hit the holes fast and hard and didn't get negative plays. They also threw the ball from under center. Not a ton but they did ok. Not a great Baylor team but AF was pretty darn dominant last night especially offensively.

I would note that as much as we hate them they more often than not get it right and have forever and a day been the standard to measure academy offenses by.

I'm not sure how this turns out next year. But instinct tells me we don't have schematic problems. However, if this turns the corner for us then Monken will look like a genius for sure. I trust he knows way more about any of this than I do. My worries go back to the last time we made a significant shift in offensive philosophy which in my mind is the Todd Berry era.

Time will tell and Monken will be on the hook for this one for sure.

PD
2 x
USMA76
Warrior

Post by USMA76 »

Coaches are often loathe to make changes as they're held hostage by their success. I mean why change anything, we just beat Navy--right? Monken knew things weren't going the way he wanted and he shook things up.

Beating Navy doesn't change the fact that our offense scored exactly seven points in regulation against each of our service academy rivals. I like the fact that Monken did this without being forced to or with his head on the chopping block as was Niamatalolo's situation with Gladchuck.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

With all these changes, in the end what I wish for is to utilize each players talent to the best of their ability into a cohesive unit that will maximize the total team effort whatever the scheme, philosophy, concept or whatever we will employ. I believe we must use and run the system according to the players ability and not what the coaches want to use, disregarding to what the players themselves can bring to the table.
To me, it is the ability and strength of the coaches to realize that, utilize that and employ it to the best of THEIR ability.
0 x
ArmyRoadFan7
Warrior

Post by ArmyRoadFan7 »

wpgrad wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:54 am I am told we’ll see mostly shotgun. Pistol type formation with 2 backs, 3rd “back” lined up near line, qb 4 yards back.

Sorta what you see coastal carolina run

And we’ll see more short passes to the outside

I am told the new formation along with short passes is the workaround to get more on the edges in response to the new cut block rules
I am skeptical that Army can recruit the type of players to make this system successful. How is this any different than what Todd Berry did other than we have better coaches now.

A change I would like to see would be recruiting bigger slot backs. (Think Maples and Baggett) So they can handle carrying the ball 20-25 times a game. We ran this type of offense under Ellerson with 250 pound linemen and it worked well. On every play the defense has to worry about both slots, the b back and the quarterback running the ball. Our current offense is all QB and B back with almost nothing from the slots. We have better coaching now so a lot of the turnovers we saw during the Ellerson era would be eliminated.
1 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic