Newberry Intro Press Conference

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
WrekDivr
Warrior

Newberry Intro Press Conference

Post by WrekDivr »

A couple of highlights:

o Chester spent a whole week and interviewed a couple of coaches on the East Coast before naming Newberry

o New DC will be PJ Volker, their current Linebackers coach

o New OC coming from outside (no surprise)

o Some form of a TO will remain

o Newberry trying to get staff in place by 2nd weekend in Jan

o Chester having no dialog with alumni, etc. about decision to fire KN, “It would cloud my thinking, I couldn’t deal with it. I haven’t read emails or answered phone calls. I was laser focused on finding the next HC and that process”(which took A WHOLE WEEK - what a douche).

o BN definition of success: win CIC, win Conference, go to a bowl. Every year. It is a reasonable expectation. This is not a rebuild - 17 of 22 starters coming back.

o BN on KN - one of the best leaders I’ve been around. Real leaders step up in adversity and KN stepped up as times were tough over the last few years.

o BN: excited to put together this offense - I have some strong feelings about it.

https://youtu.be/LI89Ls2IW2c
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Re: Newberry Intro Press Conference

Post by PrideandDream »

Very clear in this press conference that Chet thinks he's the head football coach at USNA.

Newberry seems to be a nice guy. Strong track record. However he's never RUN a program and I contend that already being a Head Coach is almost always a requirement for almost any FBS job these days and definitely serves you well at a Service Academy. That's just my opinion. He's also spent most of his time at lower ranks of FCS and Division III so have to wonder how rich his experiences are compared to some other places.

Both Coach N and Monken had been at the academies before, left and came back. Both obviously had been under Paul Johnson. Monken had a significant distinction of proving himself at GA Southern and had been there twice as an assistant and head coach.

My initial assessment is that Newberry will struggle. Just my gut and maybe I'm wrong but he's going to have to build a staff and someone is going to have to be the enforcer. He reminds me of the Stan Brock hire we made years ago. Kind of understated and appreciative of the opportunity but maybe not the most qualified hire. Who knows how this turns out. But Gladchuk, I mean that guy, what an ass. And shouldn't he be retired at 72?

PD
1 x
2mint
Warrior

Post by 2mint »

In my opinion Newberry really helps them in the short run with recruiting and retention this year. He’s done a nice job as a DC and will be interesting to see how it translates as a HC. I like that fact that Bohanon is still available too!

Interesting to see the quick turn around on the hire. I suspect this has been brewing ever since Chet fired Jasper and Kenny rehired him. Ken thought he was bulletproof and Chet was just waiting for an excuse to fire him.
0 x
USMA76
Warrior

Post by USMA76 »

On the plus side for the Mids, Newberry knows USNA, its culture, recruiting, etc. and he's done a great job of shutting down Army's offense. On the minus side, Navy's football fortunes overall have been going south for a few years now under KN and Newberry was a key lieutenant (ensign?) on those staffs. We'll find out shortly if Newberry is key to unlocking Navy's football potential or is simply a perpetuation of the existing problems.

The best thing about this episode is that the entire country now knows what an epic [phallus] Gladchuck is. That stench won't leave Navy's program as long as Chet is the AD.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

We wish Coach Newberry all the best. He deserves a shot to improve the program. I believe he will.
The competition between our academies is vital to all three schools. Personally, I love it all. It is what college football should be and is. Sometimes it is not and that is just sad for the good that this game offers us all.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic