Sure AF earned a bowl bid for tonight's AF Bowl but it could be the coldest ever...

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
OptionThis
Warrior

Sure AF earned a bowl bid for tonight's AF Bowl but it could be the coldest ever...

Post by OptionThis »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... v-channel/

One weather dude says conditions will be brutal

"Joe Bastardi
@BigJoeBastardi
·

game time 17 north wind gusting to 30. wind chills below 0. Coldest bowl game on record? ( most bowl games in warm weather)."

And that conjures this great memory -Army's 70 -14 beat down of Houston in that same bowl in 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMww1St2v1A
0 x
LoneStarPhan
Warrior

Re: Sure AF earned a bowl bid for tonight's AF Bowl but it could be the coldest ever...

Post by LoneStarPhan »

Air Force dominates the first half but going on 4th and 1 just past midfield late in the half turns out to be a big mistake. QB kept ball and looked to run to the right but was stopped for about an 8-yard loss. Ball went over to Baylor in Air Force territory and the Bears scored a TD just at the end of the half to make it 9-7 Air Force. So AF goes to the half with only a 2 point lead in spite of their dominance of the first half. Sometimes it is just smart football to punt.

Clear and cold here in Fort Worth. Actual temperature near end of the first half at 13.

UPDATE: Air Force came on strong in the second half and defeated Baylor, 30-15. Temperatures dropped a couple more degrees and is now 10 in Fort Worth.
0 x
Armyfaninpa
Warrior

Re: Sure AF earned a bowl bid for tonight's AF Bowl but it could be the coldest ever...

Post by Armyfaninpa »

I didn't see the game - did they have anything resembling a crowd attending the game?

13 degrees may well be a record for bowl games. I think some of the early Liberty Bowl games in late '50s-early '60s (when the game was played in Philly) would give DFW a run for its money for that honor. I seem to recall seeing games played in icy conditions with very small crowds when the game was played here.

I also remember seeing a Cotton Bowl game in late'70s with Joe Montana playing for Notre Dame that was during an ice storm - the stadium looked to be nearly empty for that one.
0 x
LoneStarPhan
Warrior

Post by LoneStarPhan »

Although cold, Fort Worth did not have precipitation for the game last night.
0 x
FSUBulldog0
Warrior

Post by FSUBulldog0 »

I know many of us were disappointed Army wasn’t in a bowl. However, based on the weather in the locations we’d most likely have played, it looks like we may have picked the right year to stay home. High of 25 today in Shreveport for the Independence Bowl. Very cold game last night at the Armed Forces Bowl. Cold weather for Army/Navy is expected and I welcome it. Wouldn’t have enjoyed it for a bowl game, however.
0 x
USMA76
Warrior

Post by USMA76 »

Reminds me of the old joke in that a contest was held in which first prize was a week in Buffalo, NY. Second prize was two weeks in Buffalo.
1 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

The heat of early September and the cold of December. We play FOOTBALL. I wouldn't have it any other way.
I love the game.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

I am very down that our 2022 Army team did not qualify for their bowl game this season. To me, it's an empty void in this year's post season play.
I would have loved to see this team play one more game but sadly we did not meet the minimum criteria in order to participate. The rules are plain and simple. We did not earn it but a lesson can be taken from all this.
Remember the disappointment of this season and strive to make sure it will be a wonderful motivator for the guys who will on the field next season. We will be back again in 2023. Be sure of it. Strive for it. Earn it.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic