New OC Press Conference

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
WrekDivr
Warrior

New OC Press Conference

Post by WrekDivr »

Key points:
o Must be run first, physical offense
o Many offenses include triple option elements
o The shotgun gives you more flexibility to get more of your playmakers on the field
o Should be able to throw to help the run game
o Offense will be quarterback-friendly and will ultimately depend on the strengths of the people involved
o You have a base system, then tailor it to the kids strengths
o On Bryson Daily: tough kid and strong leader - you can build on that
o Likely headed to a 1 QB system, but need multiple kids ready if you run the QB a lot
o Message to team: We’ve got to be tough and physical and win up front. It all starts there.

https://youtu.be/2wYzTTWZG54
1 x
kfan12
Warrior

Re: New OC Press Conference

Post by kfan12 »

Thanks for posting that!
0 x
BG
WrekDivr
Warrior

Re: Message to team: We’ve got to be tough and physical and win up front. It all starts there.

Post by WrekDivr »

Constant69 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:08 pmsee above
Agree! One of the things I liked is how he talked about making execution easier. Steve Chalout’s comments about how difficult we make it on our O line really stuck with me. I am encouraged so far and am curious to see what the spring brings.
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

Not a lot to go off of here, but first impression is positive. I like what he’s saying and am excited to see what spring camp reveals about the team for next year.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

We get nothing out of spring football. Our coach does not feel that anyone outside of the program should know anything. We will learn at kickoff of our first game. It is the way our coach feels, like it or not. Reality.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

gabn92 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:00 pm Not a lot to go off of here, but first impression is positive. I like what he’s saying and am excited to see what spring camp reveals about the team for next year.
Agreed. Bottom line, our offense under Davis had become very stale, very conservative. Over the next few years, our schedule continues to improve. We have BC, Syracuse and LSU next year not to mention UTSA and Coastal who both beat us.

We don't have the luxury of running 39 fullbacks dives and QB draws that we do versus UMass.

I think the change of the offense is worth the risk. Can't get much worse that what we saw versus AF and Navy running for 100 yards.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

We get nothing out of spring football. Our coach does not feel that anyone outside of the program should know anything. We will learn at kickoff of our first game. It is the way our coach feels, like it or not. Reality.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

wpgrad wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:39 pm
gabn92 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:00 pm Not a lot to go off of here, but first impression is positive. I like what he’s saying and am excited to see what spring camp reveals about the team for next year.
Agreed. Bottom line, our offense under Davis had become very stale, very conservative. Over the next few years, our schedule continues to improve. We have BC, Syracuse and LSU next year not to mention UTSA and Coastal who both beat us.

We don't have the luxury of running 39 fullbacks dives and QB draws that we do versus UMass.

I think the change of the offense is worth the risk. Can't get much worse that what we saw versus AF and Navy running for 100 yards.
I agree. I understand how he got there after early successes and some really good O-line play 3-4 years back, but I think the combination of weaker line play and rule changes weren't accounted for in his schemes and play calling.
0 x
BG
usma74
Warrior

Post by usma74 »

Two more interviews with new Army Coach Drew Thatcher.

Joe Iacono:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UDilUNH0d0&t=30s

Sal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMuVZSm0E9Q
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic