The 5 Best Army Running Backs of All Time

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
dillondobies
Warrior

Re: The 5 Best Army Running Backs of All Time

Post by dillondobies »

Kyasky was potentially the best of all but had injuries and then played QB one season. Mikelonis went down for the count in his very first game. Tommy Smith was lightning fast, but was cut down by injuries. Par Uebel and Lynn Moore were two more terrific backs.
0 x
Go Frogs
Warrior

Post by Go Frogs »

Carlton Jones needs to be in this conversation as well. No Army running back has scored more rushing touchdowns in a season than Carlton Jones did in 2004 with 17 rushing TDs. In that same season, Jones averaged over 115 yards per game which helped push him to second in career rushing yards for a Black Knight with 3,536 yards. The 2006 graduate is also second in career rushing attempts at West Point with 833 carries. Jones added eleven 100-yard rushing games to his career which included a 213-yard game against Air Force in 2004 and 33 career rushing TDs to boot.
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

Lots and lots of great ones for sure.

I agree with the comment on Mooney he was fantastic. Dixon, Jones, Wallace, all really good ones too. Frankly hate to leave many of them out.

However, are we gonna mention Arnold Tucker? And damn what about ole Monk Meyer? Monk has to be a fan favorite just based on his personality!

No doubt that we've had many many many many great RBs at Army and to name 5 just seems unfair. And a lot of big men up front that made it possible for these guys too!

PD
1 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

In his senior year, Charles "Monk" Meyer finished second behind Jay Berwanger of Chicago in the very first Heisman Trophy voting in the 1930's.
1 x
Armyfan
Warrior

Post by Armyfan »

And don't forget Tommy Bell!
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

That's the last time I try to pick something off the top of my head. At my age, there isn't much left in memory in my head.
I will from now on "refresh" my memory with viewing my collections.

geez, TOMMY BELL!!! He was one of my favorites post war years. Of all the guys I forgot off the top of my head !! :roll:
Along with Pat Uebel and Tommy Bell, they were known at the time by one NY writer as the BONG-BONG BOYS of the 1950's.
You know-- BELL AND UEBEL (UBELL). Actually pronounced ( UBULL.) on the radio.
Another old factoid old RAB remembers and not too many others still alive, that is, and yet How could I forget Tommy Bell ? I was very pleased that Tommy finally made the Army Hall of Fame not long ago.
0 x
dillondobies
Warrior

Post by dillondobies »

Tommy Bell was out of the The Bronx (Mt. Saint Michaels) and was tremendous. Charley Jarvis was another outstanding RB.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic