The best pure FB's -modern era

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
RABBLE
Warrior

The best pure FB's -modern era

Post by RABBLE »

1. Doug Black (steady and solid)
2. Darnell Woolfolk (A pure blaster up the middle and fast for his size)
3. Jacobi Buchanan (Best 2-3 yard player)
4. Gil Stephenson (Late 40,s power runner)
5. Jimmy Cain ( Very early 50'S. Shifty and smooth. Carrer cut short by scandal)

There are more but off the top of my head as a 1940's on fan, that is all I can think of at the moment.
How about you?
0 x
OptionThis
Warrior

Re: The best pure FB's -modern era

Post by OptionThis »

Rab, your list has to have Collin Mooney on it, and I would put him near the top. Imagine if he had more than one year as an Army FB ? One look at his highlights will remind you he was a beast and really fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6lQJfMraTY
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

True, that list was off the top of my head. Mooney was in the mix too but as an old-timer, I remember some guys way back when that I knew to be good during the glory days of WP football.
A guy like Jimmy Cain who was caught up in the scandal and whose career was cut short due to it, potentially
could have been one of the best also. How about Gene Filipski caught up in the same scandal? Fast and shifty although he was more a HB than FB.
0 x
dillondobies
Warrior

Post by dillondobies »

How about Al Pollard? Averaged 7.3 yards per carry in his one season at Army, and was considered the best college FB that year.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

True. Al Pollard, Jim Cain, Gene Filipski if they were not let go, probably would be favorites to win the 1951-52 national championships. With the Korean Conflict in full forces, we would have another WW2 recruitment wave of players.
Not to mention All-America T. -J D Kimmel, T Chuck Shira (both All-America (1950), LB Elmer Stout and Blaik's son, Bob Blaik. All back for the1951 campaign. What a loss of talent.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

I agree with the comments about Mooney. He played in the NFL as a FB and the NFL doesn’t play many fullbacks these days.
0 x
Coach MC
Warrior

Post by Coach MC »

Although his career statistics showed a little over 1,600 yards career total, which is modest compared to some others, another player who deserves a slight mention might be Ben Barnett 1987-1989. He was a member of that 1988 team that dropped a 29-28 game to Alabama in the Sun Bowl, one of the best Army games I've ever seen. That game was an absolute street fight, and only the efforts of the late great Derrick Thomas willed Alabama to victory. Barnett might have had better career totals, but those teams shared the carries pretty evenly among the likes of Mike Mayweather, Calvin Cass, and Bryan McWilliams.

Doug Black was a terrific player and an amazing story. A 6'0 190 pound walk-on who wasn't very fast and "bulked up" to 210, that was discovered playing intramurals by Bob Caslen, who was impressed with the kid in those games and in the boxing ring. After being cut by Ed Cavanaugh, thank goodness Jim Young gave him a chance. Who knows how many yards he would have had if he played four seasons.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic