New Offense

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
WrekDivr
Warrior

Re: New Offense

Post by WrekDivr »

I think that’s a fair concern, kfan. I hope that the gun makes the reads easier as the QB can see the field better. My other thought is that it may give our QB and backs a chance to react to a rusher breaking through the line. Too many times last year our QB got tackled behind the line before he could even execute a mesh with the FB.

I don’t know if this helps or hurts us, but when I look at the way the TO runs from the gun with two backs (one on each side of the QB is a bit different (assuming I understand the Xs and Os). If the TO is being run to the right, the back on the right becomes the dive back. The QB meshes with him and makes a read. The back runs forward toward the A gap on the opposite (left) side, crossing between the QB and Center. If he gets the ball, that becomes the “dive.” The other back (started to the left of the QB) fun’s to the right and gets into a good pitch relationship with the QB. The QB and back continue around the right end and execute the last piece of the TO.

The scenario above seems to put the QB in a better position to make a read, but (as P&D has pointed out) makes the dive a little slower to develop. Perhaps it gives the dive back a little room to adjust if the gap has been filled as well.

As an aside, I have been amazed about how much info there is on the “Gun Triple Option” out there. Apparently it is a real thing.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic