New Offense

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Re: New Offense

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

the cracking back blocks i think are supposed to have the same effect of cutting guys down and hopefully will create some nice lanes on the outside
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

prideandream wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:44 am The other thing that bothers me significantly is how fast plays develop out of the shotgun in the run game. Let's be clear snapping the ball 5 yards deep to then attack the line of scrimmage takes longer to develop and lacks the same momentum for the ball carrier as being under center. So when you don't maintain and sustain blocks, as Monken quotes in press conferences all the time, you are likely to have more negative plays. That part is really critical in all this.
As P&D mentions here, the one piece I can’t figure out is what, if anything, replaces the FB dive and the speed with which that hits the defense. Some of the videos I have seen have runs up the middle as part of the option, but I can’t see that developing as fast as our current FB dive.

On the other hand, that play has been less productive for us, particularly this year. Buchanan never carried for a loss before this year and had multiple carries for loss this year. We weren’t remotely reliable on 4th and one. Talent, execution, rules changes, or scheme something needs to change.
0 x
GO 150s 87
Warrior

Post by GO 150s 87 »

My thought, and belief, is that this new offensive scheme is "in addition to" the playbook and NOT a replacement of Monken option ball. It's impossible at this point for me to believe Monken is going to abandon the current offense wholesale in favor of this. Monken called Bryson Dailey "the future" of the offense at QB. That was an unprecedented statement by Coach and he made it several weeks before BD was fired. And Dailey is a big, bruiser of a QB. So let's hold onto our covers and wait.

This team has a lot of talent in the backfield returning to include fullbacks. But I believe Monken above all realizes the offense became too mired into having 260 pound B-backs repetitively pounding inside to the great neglect of perimeter plays utilizing speed and finesse. I believe bringing this type of offensive play calling into the huddle is more of a forcing function to get the speedy playmakers more involved. This fall I fully expect to see a hybrid of TO and RPO with a lot of things we're used to mixed with a lot of new wrinkles. It also widens the recruiting net for finesse offensive players who now find USMA more attractive and aligned with what they were running in HS.

Just my 10 cents, which in today's inflationary times is actually worth around 1.5 cents.
2 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

GO 150s 87 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:03 pm My thought, and belief, is that this new offensive scheme is "in addition to" the playbook and NOT a replacement of Monken option ball. It's impossible at this point for me to believe Monken is going to abandon the current offense wholesale in favor of this. Monken called Bryson Dailey "the future" of the offense at QB. That was an unprecedented statement by Coach and he made it several weeks before BD was fired. And Dailey is a big, bruiser of a QB. So let's hold onto our covers and wait.

This team has a lot of talent in the backfield returning to include fullbacks. But I believe Monken above all realizes the offense became too mired into having 260 pound B-backs repetitively pounding inside to the great neglect of perimeter plays utilizing speed and finesse. I believe bringing this type of offensive play calling into the huddle is more of a forcing function to get the speedy playmakers more involved. This fall I fully expect to see a hybrid of TO and RPO with a lot of things we're used to mixed with a lot of new wrinkles. It also widens the recruiting net for finesse offensive players who now find USMA more attractive and aligned with what they were running in HS.

Just my 10 cents, which in today's inflationary times is actually worth around 1.5 cents.
What do I know, I’m just a schmuck on a message board, but i highly doubt jeff monken fired his closest colleague in football, a man he has coached with for over a decade, if he plans to run 90% of the same stuff
0 x
OptionThis
Warrior

Post by OptionThis »

On the other hand, the 6'2' 220 LB fullback (a Michigan player of the year) that Army just this week recruited certainly supports the idea that a bruising fullback will be part of the offense going forward...
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

OptionThis wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:14 pm On the other hand, the 6'2' 220 LB fullback (a Michigan player of the year) that Army just this week recruited certainly supports the idea that a bruising fullback will be part of the offense going forward...
Or he’s gonna gain 20 pounds and play defense
0 x
Dude69
Warrior

Post by Dude69 »

wpgrad wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:44 pm
GO 150s 87 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:03 pm My thought, and belief, is that this new offensive scheme is "in addition to" the playbook and NOT a replacement of Monken option ball. It's impossible at this point for me to believe Monken is going to abandon the current offense wholesale in favor of this. Monken called Bryson Dailey "the future" of the offense at QB. That was an unprecedented statement by Coach and he made it several weeks before BD was fired. And Dailey is a big, bruiser of a QB. So let's hold onto our covers and wait.

What do I know, I’m just a schmuck on a message board, but i highly doubt jeff monken fired his closest colleague in football, a man he has coached with for over a decade, if he plans to run 90% of the same stuff
Don’t sell yourself short wpgrad. You are a tremendous schmuck on a message board. Yours truly, Another Bozo on the Bus
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Dude69 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:06 am
wpgrad wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:44 pm

Don’t sell yourself short wpgrad. You are a tremendous schmuck on a message board. Yours truly, Another Bozo on the Bus
Your kind words and use of the word “tremendous” made me tear up. Thank you
0 x
3seconddelay
Warrior

Post by 3seconddelay »

Dong Fong '09 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:59 am every time i watch bradshaw i wonder why we ever went away from that type of QB.

I'll take a 215 pound qb that runs through arm tackles, falls forward, and makes correct reads any day over someone who is fast.
Bryson Daily is listed as 218 lbs in the 2022. His neck looks like a wrestler. From what I saw on his recruiting tape and 2022 TDs, granted in junk time, he appears to fit your requirements. The 1st TD he got run down but carried the guy in.
0 x
3seconddelay
Warrior

Post by 3seconddelay »

3seconddelay wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:00 pm
Dong Fong '09 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:59 am every time i watch bradshaw i wonder why we ever went away from that type of QB.

I'll take a 215 pound qb that runs through arm tackles, falls forward, and makes correct reads any day over someone who is fast.
Bryson Daily is listed as 218 lbs in the 2022 roster. His neck looks like a wrestler’s. From what I saw on his recruiting tape and 2022 TDs, granted in junk time, he appears to fit your requirements. The 1st TD he got run down but carried the guy in.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic