New Offense

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
WrekDivr
Warrior

Re: New Offense

Post by WrekDivr »

I get the points about the success AF had this year, but they had Roberts. Navy was successful with an elite QB. We could just run the same O and hope for a miracle. To me, that feels like continuing to use a frontal assault against an entrenched enemy with modern weapons. Of things aren’t working (and our O has been declining since 2018) you need to try something else.

People have been running the TO out of the gun/pistol for a while. It seems like a logical evolution that keeps the key principles of the TO that made us successful while building some new twists that make us harder to predict.

I’m optimistic and hopeful that a re-vamped, run first offense will get us back to a CIC and winning a bowl.
0 x
Coach MC
Warrior

Post by Coach MC »

By the end of the year, Army was running their offense with one receiver and a tight end, and sometimes an extra lineman in the game. It effectively allowed defenses to stack 9 players in the box. How you would defend the old wishbone. This new offense will still be heavily run based according to people I've spoken to, but it will spread opponents out more and make them defend more of the field. AF spreads teams out quite a bit, which really seems to help them offensively.

We return a heck of a lot of talent at running back, so I'm interested to see how we get everyone the ball. But ultimately, this will depend of the refurbishing of the offensive line and the performance of our QB(s). There is some talent and depth returning on the line, but they have to be coached up and put in a position to succeed. I wonder if we will ever see some of the slot backs take some snaps out of a wildcat look. Just an out of the box idea, but interesting.
0 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

looks like we hired a new assistant strength and conditioning coach...seems like a pretty strong background

Bielaniec comes to West Point, after serving as the Director of Athletic Performance at Appalachian State (2020-22), overseeing the football program's strength and conditioning.

Bielaniec spent one season as the head strength and conditioning coach at Marshall in 2019 but previously spent one season as the assistant strength and conditioning coach at App State in 2018. That year, he helped the Mountaineers post 11 victories, win the inaugural Sun Belt Championship Game and the New Orleans Bowl.

A veteran strength coach, Bielaniec has also previously served stints at Massachusetts, Tulsa and South Florida. In his five combined years at Marshall and App State, Bielaniec has been part of four bowl appearances, two bowl victories and one conference championship.

Bielaniec graduated from Central Michigan in 2011 with a degree in health fitness in preventative and rehabilitative programs and a minor in exercise science. He also earned his master's in physical education from South Florida in 2014.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Coach MC wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:37 pm The offense will have a pistol look, featuring a QB in shotgun and two running backs. Definitely read option/triple option fundamentals, so the FB is not obsolete just yet. Not sure whether we will be in 12 or 13 personnel. My guess is there will be a TE either in line or flexed out a bit. Also, not sure of blocking schemes. There seems to be a great deal of excitement in the program over this, but I think everyone also realizes this is new so not sure how long it will take to fully grasp it. Definitely a run heavy package, so it will be interesting to see how they get all these talented running backs onto the field.

Had to be done in some fashion though. Having small QBs, or any QB under center the majority of the time just wasn't sustainable in the new age of football, particularly against teams whose defenses are dominant or really quick and athletic up front. Those types of teams were gapping and slanting, running twists and stunts, anticipating snap counts and creating general havoc in the backfield. Our linemen couldn't handle it.
Obviously no one knows for sure on this message board, but I have read in multiple places that they will be using one running back only in most sets. Not two.
0 x
OptionThis
Warrior

Post by OptionThis »

New OC says he will be flexible in adapting his offense to Army's talent...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1611038003782352896
0 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

i don't care what we do.

If he is able to create game plans specific to each opponent, and then adjust if needed in games based on what the defense is doing, and figure out how to get our best players the ball, we will immediately be more successful offensively than we were the past four seasons.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

wpgrad wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:42 am

Obviously no one knows for sure on this message board, but I have read in multiple places that they will be using one running back only in most sets. Not two.
I looked again at one of Coach Thatcher’s YouTube videos and he shows one play that’s run from 4 formations. All 4 had 2 WRs spread out and 1 or 2 backs beside the QB. If there were 2 backs, there was a slot back/receiver. If there was 1 back, there was a slot back/receiver and another to the same side roughly behind the tackle and close to the line of scrimmage. I expect we will see both of these formations as well as others.
0 x
Coach MC
Warrior

Post by Coach MC »

Not that it matters because I'm sure there will be multiple sets, but the base offense will feature two running backs. You can count on that. Which makes sense since we return 7 or 8 running backs who have seen significant action, and having formations getting them on the field together as much as possible would be great.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

challenges

Post by kfan12 »

Isn't one of the keys to an offense like this, the ability to make a quick read and precision? For the last couple of years, it seems like we've been able to do the first, but not so much for the latter.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens but am a bit concerned about Army spreading out and creating gaps that speedier defenses can take advantage of.
0 x
BG
hammerdown
Warrior

Re: challenges

Post by hammerdown »

kfan12 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:42 am Isn't one of the keys to an offense like this, the ability to make a quick read and precision? For the last couple of years, it seems like we've been able to do the first, but not so much for the latter.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens but am a bit concerned about Army spreading out and creating gaps that speedier defenses can take advantage of.
Totally agree. Plays will get blown up in the backfield or before they can get to the edge.
The speed/quickness to get to a block could be a problem.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic