Andre Carter Draft Stock

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
WrekDivr
Warrior

Andre Carter Draft Stock

Post by WrekDivr »

Sports Illustrated has Carter going in the second round at 54, the 8th edge rusher taken in the draft.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/2-rou ... mock-draft
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Re: Andre Carter Draft Stock

Post by WrekDivr »

Mock draft from USA Today has Carter going 85th (3rd round) as the12th Edge Rusher taken. I haven’t noticed him in any of the recent 2-round mock drafts.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists/20 ... ichardson/
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

After the Combine, USA Today has Carter going in the 3rd round at #74 to the Jets. Another article I read recently said that Edge Rusher is one of the deepest positions in this draft. If this prediction comes true, at least Carter won’t have to drag his footlocker too far.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/list ... ock-draft/
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

I gotta say I don't see "3rd rounder" on the field last year, with the obvious caveat that teams were key'ing on him for sure.

But I've seen D1 athletes play in person in high school, and you IMMEDIATELY know who they are. I've seen NFL athletes play at D1s in person, and you IMMEDIATELY know who they are. Not sure I saw that on the field this year. I wish him luck and hope he goes in the first round.
0 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

i think hes a solid player but not sure i agree with all of the hype

he was pretty vulnerable when it came to containing runs to the outside and not sure how much of an impact/big play player he was with 3 sacks and 0 forced fumbles this year

pretty cool though that an army player will be getting drafted
0 x
GO 150s 87
Warrior

Post by GO 150s 87 »

IMO - His draft stock has fallen pretty significantly due to this past season and his combine performance. I'm predicting 4th or 5th round. He did get dinged up this past season and I think he's still got some lingering issues with that.

Now the flip side of my dire draft prediction is this - whoever gets him is getting a steal. Once Carter is under the tutelage of an NFL strength and conditioning regimen and pro-level mentorship/coaching he'll develop into an outstanding defender at that level. Adding muscle, strength, and weight will show big improvement.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

GO 150s 87 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:13 pm IMO - His draft stock has fallen pretty significantly due to this past season and his combine performance. I'm predicting 4th or 5th round. He did get dinged up this past season and I think he's still got some lingering issues with that.

Now the flip side of my dire draft prediction is this - whoever gets him is getting a steal. Once Carter is under the tutelage of an NFL strength and conditioning regimen and pro-level mentorship/coaching he'll develop into an outstanding defender at that level. Adding muscle, strength, and weight will show big improvement.

Unfortunately, I think the lack of performance by the DL in general had a huge impact on Carter, once he became a player that teams knew about.
1 x
BG
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

AC had a strong Junior year but against a relatively weak schedule. He's a good player has the body type that can develop. But here's the rub. His combine numbers from an athleticism stand point were not very good.

I'll be surprised if he is actually drafted. Not because of his talent but because there are just too many unknowns and too many other players to draft that won't require the inputs like a year or even two of development. Not to mention the uncertainty of his service and how that plays out.

You don't find many 6'6" players as edge rushers. So he's got the body type. But I would argue that his aggression and explosiveness needs a ton of work. Note that he did not participate in the 40 yard dash or the 3 cone drill. And maybe most importantly in my mind his vertical jump was one of the lowest in the group. He's not exceptionally fast or explosive and putting on mass won't help that. Maybe most telling of the events he did participate in was his bench for 225 getting only 11 reps. Which is unfortunately really really unremarkable.

Personally I hope he turns out to be another Villanueava and that he can find a team to invest in him. But playing EDGE in the NFL takes more than just putting on a ton of weight. Explosiveness and aggression as well as the ability to defend the pass are real skills that are necessary. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

PD
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

Andre did not have a good senior year. The team didn't have a good year either. I still hope he gets drafted somewhere before the draft is over.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

Athlon Sports has AC ranked at 195 with a 5th-round grade going into the draft this week.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/2023-nfl-d ... -prospects
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic