Is the “Gun Triple” a real TO Offense?

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
wpgrad
Warrior

Re: Is the “Gun Triple” a real TO Offense?

Post by wpgrad »

Coastal QB is back, their coach is gone.

I see 6-6 realistically but a better 6-6. Maybe 7-5 Wins over Monroe, Deleware, Holy Cross (c'mon, this isn't 2005), UMass, Troy, and then 2 of 4 from Navy, Air Force, BC and Coastal in a best case scenario.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

hammerdown wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:25 pm
You have Army losing to Holy Cross. If that's the case,
it's going to be a real bad season. Also, A.F. I think
is a toss up, A.F. loses QB Daniels, RB Roberts, and
Wr Cormier, they accounted for about 75% of there O.
You may be correct on Holy Cross, by the time they play the game Army will have some seasoning in the new offense, but they've played Army tough at times and seem to be hitting their stride. If the army website is accurate HC won 30-21 last time the teams met, though Army was in the Doldrums.

AF is a tough out. The game is in CO where AF has a significant advantage because of the altitude on top of the normal home team 3 point advantage.
0 x
BG
RespectAPA
Warrior

Post by RespectAPA »

Whether or not it counts, what coach's offense does is the same thing that Davis' offense did. Paralyze the defense, making for easier pass plays. His team was 7th in the nation in yards per completition, just like Davis' offense, but unlike Davis we're going to be throwing the ball as often as we ought to. So we'll be fine. The running game will be a bit worse for all the reasons that P&D pointed out, but that will be *more* than compensated by the higher efficiency offense just from calling passing plays more than single digit times per game.

I'll miss the flexbone, though. What we needed wasn't to go to gun, we needed to throw the ball on 1st and 2nd down more. And that's exactly what Bohannon does at KSU, so hopefully we kick behind over the next few years, and Bohannon will still be available to hire when Monken gets picked up by someone thanks to the new gun offense. Which will happen pretty soon, IMO. He already has a reputation as a great coach, and now he isn't a screwball of an offense to the ADs.

And, hopefully if/when Monken gets poached, our AD isn't dumb enough to hire someone who will abandon the option entirely. I'd probably go to just watching the 2nd half of games if that happened.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic