Pretty blunt comments from monken

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
wpgrad
Warrior

Pretty blunt comments from monken

Post by wpgrad »

Pretty blunt interview today. His comments include that running the option under center is basically no longer possible with the new cut block rules, the new cut block rules have really impacted what he wants to do, the new offense will have option elements but it will be run from the gun and will not involve cut blocking, and Matt drinkall and thatcher will be running the show

Still wants to run the ball

Indicated pretty clearly that he has been running the Paul Johnson offense since he first got into coaching in the 1990s, and he does not think he can run that offense anymore. This is doubly interesting because as we are going away from that offense, navy appears to be going very hard back to this style

Also indicated new offense will be easier to recruit QBs since very few run an under center offense in HS, and indicated there is difficulty finding centers who can snap u der center, and the new offense will make it easier to find centers
1 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Re: Pretty blunt comments from monken

Post by ARMORMAN »

Very interesting and useful interviews with both Sal and Joe. Excellent questions and direct answers.
I only have 1 regret: No one asked about Tyrell Robinson's rehab, and Jeff didn't volunteer...
0 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

Another observation:

Jeff was emphatic about what prompted the change from our "under center" offense (which he has run exclusively since he was an assistant to Paul Johnson) to the new "gun" option: It was all the new cut-blocking rules, pure and simple. Can't get the linebackers down anymore. Can't get the corners down. Can't compensate for having smaller players. Can't execute the necessary blocks.

So, change was necessary.

I'm buying it. I have faith in Jeff Monken and his decision-making. He understands that it's his responsibility to give his players the best chance to succeed, and to borrow an Artillery phrase, he made a "bold range change".

However, as was pointed out above, the squids seemingly have doubled down on PJ's under center offense, and the zooms have shown no evidence of change either.

So it's a fascinating scenario. We have changed dramatically, and our rivals have not. The coming season will reveal a lot. Either:

1, Jeff's right, we get better and the other 2 struggle (especially vs us), or

2. Vice versa. We struggle, and they succeed, or

3. Maybe we all fail, or

4. Maybe we all succeed.

My money (and my hope) is on numero uno.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

Thanks for posting - I missed the interviews until I read your post. I agree with your comments in addition, I thought it was interesting that JM mentioned spreading out the offensive formation more - that will be a different look for sure.

It was good to hear the rationale for the change directly from JM. He did not make the change without thinking it through.

Can’t wait to see what things look like in a few days and in the fall!
0 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

i still think there was a way to adapt without totally throwing the under center option out the window, but i'm happy he was willing to make a change because what brent davis has been producing the past few seasons was not working.

i find his comments about recruiting playing such a big role in the new direction very interesting. if he is right, we should quickly see a talent advantage over air force and navy.
0 x
GO 150s 87
Warrior

Post by GO 150s 87 »

As much anticipation as I share with everyone about seeing this new offense, I still believe (IMO) that it is an expansion of the play book. In other words, we haven't seen the last of the under-the-center TO we're used to. But that will be a situational application of TO with the new offense being the primary playbook. I could be wrong but I just am not convinced the old offense has been completely scrapped.

I also am of the opinion that Spring practice is not going to unveil much about what's to come. We'll have to wait until the season to really see what's going on with this team and which direction the offense is really headed.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

GO 150s 87 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:53 am As much anticipation as I share with everyone about seeing this new offense, I still believe (IMO) that it is an expansion of the play book. In other words, we haven't seen the last of the under-the-center TO we're used to. But that will be a situational application of TO with the new offense being the primary playbook. I could be wrong but I just am not convinced the old offense has been completely scrapped.

I also am of the opinion that Spring practice is not going to unveil much about what's to come. We'll have to wait until the season to really see what's going on with this team and which direction the offense is really headed.
If you watch the two interviews, you'd come away convinced that the "under center option" (as Monken calls it) is dead and what he plans to do is definitely not a tweak or extension of what we have seen. I would think we'll see it only for 4 and 1 type plays, and at the goal lines.

And, in my opinion, as stated before...if he just wanted tweaks or extensions of existing playbook, he would not have fired his longtime friend and OC.
1 x
GO 150s 87
Warrior

Post by GO 150s 87 »

Just to clarify, I did not say tweaks and extensions. I agree and say the new offense will be the primary playbook. The only point I'm making - and make it clear it's my opinion only - is that the old TO is still in the playbook for situational (as in yardage) use. But I don't think any of us are really going to see the full unveiling of the new offense until the season opener.
1 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

One key point that JM made repeatedly is that the new blocking rules were a key reason for moving to the Gun TO. He makes a point that it makes blocking for the center a bit easier or at least makes it so more guys can do it successfully.

I’m looking at some Gun TO info online, another reason that it helps is that an option play includes both the right and left sides of the line, no matter which way the play is going. For example, if the option goes to the right, the dive portion is run to the left. I’m the flexbone, both the dive and option are run to the same side. Perhaps by forcing the D to cover defend both the left and right sides on every play holds the LBs a little longer making it easier to get a block in them.

Any other insights on how the Gun TO might make it easier to make the necessary blocks?
1 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

It will depend on how well the OL develops or any change will not matter. We must have better performance up front this year over last year or another mediocre record will result.
We need some depth to develop at QB and as far as Tyrell Robinson is concerned, I hope he is ready to play and be as effective as he was before his injury.
As for any insight this spring, forget it. Monken will not talk about much of anything especially this spring.
Evaluation, experimentation and silence are the key words these 15 days of practice. I really don't think he will have much of a spring game, if any, so as to not reveal much of anything.
Actually, we have more insight to the demolition of the east stands this summer than football talk.
We should have a camera focused on the east stands to follow the work being done over the course of the summer. That is my key interest the next few months as opposed to any meaningful football news. I think the progress of the stadium over football talk should occupy our thoughts until game 1 begins.
Implosion or wrecking ball? ;)
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic