Friday Night

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
JKillerK
Warrior

Friday Night

Post by JKillerK »

If what I saw last night is what we can expect starting in September, get ready for some long winter nights.
0 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Re: Friday Night

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

What happened?
0 x
JKillerK
Warrior

Post by JKillerK »

It is not the type offense that suits our players. I saw more passes thrown last night than I have seen in games over the last few years.
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

FWIW, I’ve had the impression the last few spring games that we’ve passed a lot (relative) for Army. It seems like Monken has regularly tried to work on the passing game during the spring.

While the shift to shotgun likely means morw passing than we’ve seen in the past…I also don’t doubt what Monken has said…that this will still be a run-first offense. Not ready to fret about the season simply because they were throwing the ball some during the spring game. Many have thought that we needed a legitimate passing threat to open the run game…and this approach and new scheme may very well provide that.
0 x
FSUBulldog0
Warrior

Post by FSUBulldog0 »

Spring games almost always have more passing than regular season games. I suspect part of the reason is that QBs don’t get hit in spring. You can’t run a full option attack if the QB is in a red jersey.
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

gabn92 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:22 am FWIW, I’ve had the impression the last few spring games that we’ve passed a lot (relative) for Army. It seems like Monken has regularly tried to work on the passing game during the spring.

While the shift to shotgun likely means morw passing than we’ve seen in the past…I also don’t doubt what Monken has said…that this will still be a run-first offense. Not ready to fret about the season simply because they were throwing the ball some during the spring game. Many have thought that we needed a legitimate passing threat to open the run game…and this approach and new scheme may very well provide that.
That same general concensus of thought is what got us to Todd Berry in the late 90's.

It was the return to a heavy run offense under Bradshaw and no passes that saw our greatest success.

Any passing offense is built around having the players to do it with and even then it's a mixed bag most of the time.

If we plan to pass more it's gonna be a long long season.

I sure hope I'm wrong but going on record that this experiment is not the solution to our woes or to the blocking rule changes. Seriously hope I'm wrong.

PD
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

gabn92 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:22 am FWIW, I’ve had the impression the last few spring games that we’ve passed a lot (relative) for Army. It seems like Monken has regularly tried to work on the passing game during the spring.

That same general concensus of thought is what got us to Todd Berry in the late 90's.

It was the return to a heavy run offense under Bradshaw and no passes that saw our greatest success.

Any passing offense is built around having the players to do it with and even then it's a mixed bag most of the time.

If we plan to pass more it's gonna be a long long season.

I sure hope I'm wrong but going on record that this experiment is not the solution to our woes or to the blocking rule changes. Seriously hope I'm wrong.

PD
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

Hope you’re wrong too. Monken’s earned the benefit of the doubt in my book…so I choose to have hope that he’s onto something.
0 x
Go Frogs
Warrior

Post by Go Frogs »

Scoring 61 points should say something. Especially when there were over 40 players on the side line not playing, many of which were offensive stars from last year. I'm holding out hope that Monken is on to something....
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

To paraphrase rick pitino: 2018 isnt walking through that door again. Thr rule changes killed 2018

Watching us versus AF in dallas wasnt just bad. It was excruciatingly awful pain. That offense is dead

Monken is no dummy. He has thought this thru for years
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic