Our O-Line is putting on weight

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Our O-Line is putting on weight

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

this article says we have 11 o-lineman over 300 pounds.

https://twitter.com/BKKnightNation/stat ... 04514?s=20
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Re: Our O-Line is putting on weight

Post by PrideandDream »

The proof will be on the field. I certainly hope these are meaningful gains and not just weight. Extra weight doesn't equate directly to being more athletic. Our O LIne needs Execution. It's sometimes easier to beat a big slower player than a small and slow player.

Size and Scheme don't fix execution.

PD
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

Viti or Drinkall made a similar comment about being 300+ across the O line. It sounds encouraging. I also read that one of the strengths of the Gun Triple is that it simplifies execution for the O line. The combo of bigger guys in a scheme that simplifies execution will hopefully make for better O line play. Better O line play = better offensive performance.
0 x
hiangle6
Warrior

Post by hiangle6 »

Sadly, so am I.
2 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

hiangle6 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:29 pm Sadly, so am I.
How are your zone blocking skills?
1 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

WrekDivr wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:07 pm Viti or Drinkall made a similar comment about being 300+ across the O line. It sounds encouraging. I also read that one of the strengths of the Gun Triple is that it simplifies execution for the O line. The combo of bigger guys in a scheme that simplifies execution will hopefully make for better O line play. Better O line play = better offensive performance.
I certainly hope so. Praying hard I'm wrong about all this. Not pulling against us but there just is no precedent for this style to work and AFA doubling down on under center flexbone and having success with the same rule changes really has me concerned.

PD
0 x
stash76
Warrior

Post by stash76 »

prideandream wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:11 pm

I certainly hope so. Praying hard I'm wrong about all this. Not pulling against us but there just is no precedent for this style to work and AFA doubling down on under center flexbone and having success with the same rule changes really has me concerned.

PD
I agree PD. If our new offense is not as unique as the flexbone, I'm afraid we might be walking into Todd Berry's wide-open offense experiment. We know how that turned out. If our new offense is similar to the rpo many teams run, we lose that advantage we had running the flexbone. I am being optimistic, but suffering through many bad years is a hurdle I need to get over.
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

The difference is Monken. With the Todd Berry disaster, we had a new coach, completely new scheme.

In this case, we have the same coach...who is a proven winner at West Point...and a change to the scheme, but still a run-first scheme with elements of the triple option at it's core. At least that's what I've gathered from the interviews that Monken, Drinkal and the new OC have stated.

Monken and crew have earned the benefit of the doubt in my mind. USAFA sticking with an under center approach is an experiment that will be interesting to follow and see how it plays out for them and us. Neither AFA nor Army moved the ball very well against each other last fall...them sticking with the same approach doesn't automatically equate to smart in my estimation.

Spring games are difficult to gauge much off of...however, a 31-30 offensive output says something. Against a veteran defensive coordinator running his scheme with his players, the new offensive scheme/system that is just being put in place and the O is trying to learn was able to generate those scores. I would have expected the defense to be ahead of the offense in the spring and a much lower score to have been the case.

So...for me at least this point the glass is half full.

Beat em!
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

I had a 2-month period this fall where I was "done" with monken. Our offense was unwatchable and I had doubts that he would get rid of his long time partner and buddy Davis.

Since then, all he has done has changed everything. He knew this fall was a problem. And he put the items in place over the last few years with hires such as drinkall, topped it off with the OC hire, and now is changing it.

Do we all think this guy is so stupid that he doesn't know what will, and what won't, work at Army given his longevity not only here, but also at Navy? Also, I think that if Monken wanted the OC from Kennesaw, he would have hired him already.

Berry was a fool. Monken is one of the top 5 or 10 coaches in college football.

I think this year smells like a 5-6 win year. I think 2024 will be 7-8 wins rolling right along
0 x
GO 150s 87
Warrior

Post by GO 150s 87 »

wpgrad wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:13 pm
Do we all think this guy is so stupid that he doesn't know what will, and what won't, work at Army given his longevity not only here, but also at Navy? Also, I think that if Monken wanted the OC from Kennesaw, he would have hired him already.
I think I read somewhere that new Navy HC Newberry hired the Kennesaw St OC. Makes sense given that Newberry came from there too.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic