Looking forward

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
palidog
Warrior

Looking forward

Post by palidog »

No doubt, the next two games are the key to the season and getting into a bowl game. Army must win five of the remaining 8 FBS games.

Syracuse is a good ACC team, will probably win 8-9 games this week in the tougher division in a good conference.

Boston College is not a good ACC team, and the Eagles may, in fact, be the worst team in the conference. Army is home and needs to win that game to salvage any hope for a bowl game and respectable season.

Troy is also average and also a home game for Army. It is a must win game and a game the Black Knights should be able to win.

LSU is going to be messy and Air Force is pretty balanced thus far, though I agree they have not played a good opponent yet. UMASS looks like a mess and its is home and Coastal Carolina is 50/50, similar to Troy. The Holy Cross game, essentially, does not count.

We do not want to leave our chances of going bowling to the Navy game. Anything can happen.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Re: Looking forward

Post by WrekDivr »

Good summary of Army’s situation. If we play like we did at UTSA or the first half of the Syracuse game, we can compete with anyone and certainly win the games we need to. No matter what type of offense we run, the formula is the same: control the ball and keep the opposing D off the field.

Wish I knew what caused our O to disappear in the second half yesterday. Is it a simple as completing 2-3 of the passes we missed? I really don’t know.

On some ways my confidence in this team went up yesterday, but the total lack of production in the second half has me scratching my head.

This season has been a roller coaster:

ULM: where is the offense in the new offense?
DSU: okay, we can play offense
UTSA: Wow! This O is strong!
‘Cuse 1st Half: this is going to be a special season - bring on LSU
‘Cuse 2nd Half: is a bowl still possible?
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

WrekDivr wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:03 pm Good summary of Army’s situation. If we play like we did at UTSA or the first half of the Syracuse game, we can compete with anyone and certainly win the games we need to. No matter what type of offense we run, the formula is the same: control the ball and keep the opposing D off the field.

Wish I knew what caused our O to disappear in the second half yesterday. Is it a simple as completing 2-3 of the passes we missed? I really don’t know.

On some ways my confidence in this team went up yesterday, but the total lack of production in the second half has me scratching my head.

This season has been a roller coaster:

ULM: where is the offense in the new offense?
DSU: okay, we can play offense
UTSA: Wow! This O is strong!
‘Cuse 1st Half: this is going to be a special season - bring on LSU
‘Cuse 2nd Half: is a bowl still possible?
Agree.
Two thoughts:
1) If Daily is going to throw, he's got to complete at 50% or better.
2) If we're going to run, we need to use our hammers out of the backfield (DId Buchanan play in the second half?) and sustain blocks. We didn't block well and we took our hammers out of the run game in the second half, at least that is what I saw.
0 x
BG
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

Agree with the summary...all games winnable except LSU.

Great to have BC, Troy and Coastal at home. This team has the potential, but needs to put full games together...and that is both players and coaching staff.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

I would agree with how you describe the up and down aspect of our offense, and I would argue that it’s exactly what one would expect when you take 150 players and 20 coaches and begin a radically new offense just 8 months ago
1 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

wpgrad wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:28 am I would agree with how you describe the up and down aspect of our offense, and I would argue that it’s exactly what one would expect when you take 150 players and 20 coaches and begin a radically new offense just 8 months ago
Good point. If we continue to progress to consistent performance like we saw at UTSA and the 1st half of Syracuse, then this could be a good year.

After the first half of Syracuse, I had penciled in a CIC win and bowl win and figured we would give LSU a run for their money. It could all still happen, but after the second half I was glad it was in pencil.
0 x
BlackKnight09
Warrior

Post by BlackKnight09 »

Like you all, I was really encouraged by the first half of the Syracuse game. To me, the second half was a combination of 1. Cuse figuring out we would give them short throws all day (bend but break anyway D)
2. Some missed opportunities on offense by Army
3. Our kids were gassed. It happens against bigger and superior opponents.

Nonetheless, aside from LSU, I think every game left is winnable.

We’ll get blown off the field at LSU but I expect that this team will compete the rest of the way and I don’t think a CiC and bowl game is off the table.

Far different than I felt after ULM!
1 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic