FIRE THATCHER TODAY!

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
PrideandDream
Warrior

FIRE THATCHER TODAY!

Post by PrideandDream »

Monken should make a statement and fire Thatcher today in the post game presser.

PD
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Re: FIRE THATCHER TODAY!

Post by WrekDivr »

Not sure I would put this disaster on Thatcher. The D let their running back get over 200 yards. The D got zero turnovers and zero 3 and outs. The punter had a 4 yard punt and a 15 yard turnover on downs. Daily had 2 red zone turnovers.

The O was not good, but neither was anything else.
2 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

Unfortunately, P&D appears to have been right about the problems with this offensive experiment. The team is regressing as the season goes along. The Army team that took the field today could not have beaten UTSA, nor come within an unfortunate illegal forward pass of beating BC, nor come close to beating even lowly ULM.

Army is worse in game 8 than they were in game 1 of this season...and that's with the starting QB back under center 3 of 13 with 2 interceptions for Daily in an offense that's supposed to have added a passing element to make Army more dynamic.

How much of this does Monken have to see to realize it's not going to work? There's just no sign of progress here...and sadly it's in every phase of the game. This team is demonstrably worse today than they were in early September.

Firing Thatcher would be a start.
1 x
wp1994
Warrior

Post by wp1994 »

I understand the frustration, but I cannot imagine firing a first year offensive coordinator before doing something about our horrendous special teams situation. Week after week we’ve seen little improvement there, and there’s no “first year” excuse for special teams.

Beat ‘em!
1 x
Beat 'em!
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

I thought you said last week the problem is our offensive line, which was also the out you used to defend Brent Davis the previous two years?
0 x
ArmyRoadFan7
Warrior

Post by ArmyRoadFan7 »

gabn92 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:10 pm Unfortunately, P&D appears to have been right about the problems with this offensive experiment. The team is regressing as the season goes along. The Army team that took the field today could not have beaten UTSA, nor come within an unfortunate illegal forward pass of beating BC, nor come close to beating even lowly ULM.

Army is worse in game 8 than they were in game 1 of this season...and that's with the starting QB back under center 3 of 13 with 2 interceptions for Daily in an offense that's supposed to have added a passing element to make Army more dynamic.

How much of this does Monken have to see to realize it's not going to work? There's just no sign of progress here...and sadly it's in every phase of the game. This team is demonstrably worse today than they were in early September.

Firing Thatcher would be a start.
He’s hardly the only one that had reservations about the new offense. I can’t blame him for wanting to fire Thatcher after today. The run game was there for us if we wanted it but we are chucking 40 yard bombs and running low percentage plays on 4th down.
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

So let's be clear. Defense also bad. But for different reasons I believe. Special Teams, I mean bad today yes. We missed a 49 yard FG which is long for any team. The punts are awful. However, we shouldn't be running an offense that has us punting almost ever. But I get it punting still bad. Today is a Total systems failure. And at what point do the players recognize how bad it is?

This would be my point on Thatcher. He got inside the Red Zone and started throwing. What in the hell is wrong with him? Just run the damn football you idiot and punch it in and get the points and get back in the game. And why isn't Monken overriding the call? I don't know the answers but I do know that from the ULM game forward he's a disaster in the Red Zone. We've played 32 quarters and 18 of those quarter have zero touchdowns. This scheme gives us no advantage. The play calling is suspect at best. The execution is bad particularly in the passing game and the O line is still not very good an often has mistakes creating negative plays.
3 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

Dong Fong '09 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:18 pm I thought you said last week the problem is our offensive line, which was also the out you used to defend Brent Davis the previous two years?
The O line is disorganized. Completely incapable of creating consistant clean running lanes. On the second to last play UMass immediately got to our QB with three d lineman. They are confused, out if synch and rarely all involved in any play. We can't run right at all. We aren't good enough to even try misdirection. Completely abysmal.
0 x
BG
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

Dong Fong '09 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:18 pm I thought you said last week the problem is our offensive line, which was also the out you used to defend Brent Davis the previous two years?
The O line is disorganized. Completely incapable of creating consistant clean running lanes. On the second to last play UMass immediately got to our QB with three d lineman. They are confused, out if synch and rarely all involved in any play. We can't run right at all. We aren't good enough to even try misdirection. Completely abysmal.
Last edited by kfan12 on Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
BG
ArmyFaninAlbany
Warrior

Post by ArmyFaninAlbany »

At this point, this years team is a literal clown show. It’s not just the offense. Our defense is beyond porous, and our punting team is embarrassing. The question is how has a program who has been extremely competitive with basically any team they have faced in the past 6-7 years, regressed so bad that they truthfully could be the absolute worst FBS team in the nation right now?????? It has been discussed at length on this board the past couple weeks all the issues that are contributing to these disgusting losses. However, what changes are the coaching staff making to improve this dumpster fire that we are currently experiencing??? If we can’t beat UMASS, who in the hell in all of the FBS can we possibly beat right now? And we are suppose to be able to compete in the AAC starting next year????
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic