Hey Jeff: Now is the time to swallow your ego

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
gabn92
Warrior

Hey Jeff: Now is the time to swallow your ego

Post by gabn92 »

I’m watching #19 Air Force play a great game in a driving snow storm. They look tough, disciplined and effective. They are able to move the ball consistently with an option-based run-first offense that is under center. Just like they’ve done for many years.

Time to swallow your pride and disdain for Troy Calhoun and admit you can learn some things from how he’s running the program there.

They have a good offensive line. Looks like Army could greatly benefit by you investing in an offensive line coach that has actually played the position and has a proven record coaching those skills.

If the cut blocking rule changes are affecting AF, I can’t see it…but take a look at what they’re doing. If they can do it…why can’t Army?

You made a bold change with this experiment. It is clear that it’s not working: we are getting worse as the season progresses, not better. That speaks volumes about our system.

Make another bold change: go with a system that actually works. We are staring at 2-10 as a very probable outcome. What do you have to lose at this point to shift and try something new?

Now is not the time to be stubborn or prideful.
4 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Re: Hey Jeff: Now is the time to swallow your ego

Post by PrideandDream »

yep. All hard truths here.

I posted to Fire Thatcher. Mainly because Monken needs to make a statement to the players first, his staff second, and the fans third that he isn't going to accept this failure. Own it and start making amends. I don't care if we lose every game from here on out. I do care that we don't do something about it and find some fire and some fight and some physicality.

If there is no clear decision and demanding of better play then I fear Monken could lose the players and that would be really really bad.

PD
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

I'd much rather the coach be POd then seeming dejected like he was in post game today.
0 x
BG
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

I agree. Was hard to watch Monken today. I think he is really at a loss on how this has gone sideways. It is an amazing blind spot in my opinion on multiple levels.
0 x
Dude69
Warrior

Post by Dude69 »

I know you guys are a little upset but Volleyball had a solid day.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Been a long crappy season But you guys are ridiculous If you think a coach makes a massive calculated change to his offense, fires his longtime coaching partner and friend after over a decade together, goes out and hires who he feels is a good young offensive mind, signs a $2m plus contract…….And then scraps everything after just seven games. It’s not even November.

It’s ridiculous to even consider.
2 x
DoubleNuts
Warrior

Post by DoubleNuts »

My hope is that the coaches and team have enough fire and self-respect to muster up a fight in the final few games, especially against Navy. My fear is that the culture of losing has already begun to set in, and that is what was poisonous during all those years of the dark ages. Expecting to lose, feeling ok losing, feeble "Beat Navy!" yell at the end of every game. Then all the social media accounts glossing over how crappy everything was. That was the extra insult to us fans. If the coaches and team show some heart in these final games, I can deal with a loss. But they must work really hard to avoid the loser mentality.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic