Updates

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Coach MC
Warrior

Updates

Post by Coach MC »

Seems to be a slight bit of roster turnover recently. The Alston situation I suspected and heard some rumblings to that effect before official word came down. I know people from his area so have heard some things from those who know him.

He sees himself as a legitimate NFL prospect, and there seemed to be two reasons for his departure.
First, there was a belief the new offense would open up the passing game and lead to a bigger role for him moving forward. That became less of a reality as the season progressed, and it seems that we are trending back toward a predominantly ground based attack as that seems to be what we do best. I am only speculating here, but if you connect the dots, I would not be shocked if pitching the new offense to Alston and Robinson was a strong part of why they pulled their names out of the portal last year. Might also be part of the reason that a QB like Harris would commit. The fact that some of these players are leaving would indicate a move back to a true triple option, whether under center, in the gun, or a hybrid. I thought the triple option fans would find that interesting. Second, I've also heard that the congressional bill not allowing deferral of service could also be a factor for this kid, considering his professional aspirations. I agree with the poster who questioned why he would commit here out of HS. He was a P5 recruit, and would have gotten tons of targets at some of these places with wide open offenses. I found it admirable he would come to Army, but this is not a springboard to the NFL for a receiver if that's what you aspire to. He's a good kid by all accounts, and I wish him well. Quite frankly, I'm confident the trio of Reynolds, Short, and Fortner can hold it down at WR.

Have heard some of the same schools listed for Alston as were posted previously. My initial thought is whatever the NIL being floated would have to cover financial restitution to West Point. I'm not up to speed on that part of it, so I'd defer to others who are more knowledgeable. I am hearing some really big P5 schools are in on Latuli, including some of the powerhouses out west. I also agree with the poster who warned of the hazards of the portal. Might have been P & D. I'm on the basketball side of things now, but I see this up close and personal every day. A couple years back, there were approximately 1,300 kids in the basketball portal and somewhere in the vicinity of 500 found new homes. A cautionary tale to be sure. A head coach told me their priorities are to first re-recruit their own players so they don't transfer, then work the transfer portal, then junior colleges, then prep schools, and finally on to the HS players. Obviously, Army doesn't function that way, but colleges are looking to get older, experienced, and more physically mature players, so there is a lot of competition in the transfer portal. We are also competing against older, more experienced teams all the time.

I have two former players at West Point now, and a potential third on the way. I couldn't be more proud, and I have helped facilitate their recruitment to Army as much as I can without trying to influence them. But I also have a very serious talk with them and their parents about the realities that await them. If they go, I want them to stay. I believe that what they will experience will form who they are as people and change their lives for the better. I never advocate choosing a college for the athletic program, and I think people are often confused by that. We want kids to think about the academics, internships, the possibilities for their career choice, alumni networks, etc. It's why I think Army should and could be in on kids who are higher level recruits. West Point offers something unique that can't be matched. But so many kids these days think they are going pro that with many it's a hard sell. But it's possible. It's also why you see Ivy League schools pulling 4 star basketball recruits. If we do this right, it won't be about who is leaving. It will be about how we are going toe to toe against more powerful football schools for recruits, and winning our fair share of those battles. Still think the future looks bright, but have to build on how we finished the year and accentuate the things we did to turn our season around.
2 x