Bateman to Texas A&M

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
WrekDivr
Warrior

Bateman to Texas A&M

Post by WrekDivr »

Looks like Bateman landed at Texas A&M. I wish him the best. Sometimes miss his “we solve our problems with aggression” approach.

https://aggieswire.usatoday.com/2023/12 ... ke-elko-2/
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Re: Bateman to Texas A&M

Post by wpgrad »

After moves from army to chapell hill to gainesville now to texas, moving family over and over, and its not like he’s making millions and millions as the linebacker coach at florida, i wonder if somewhere in his mind he’s thinking ya know, i coulda raised my family at west point and just stayed here

I know these coaches have egos and wanna be on buggest stage…
0 x
USMAPAFAN
Warrior

Post by USMAPAFAN »

He made $425k at Florida and will certainly be over $1 million at Texas A&M. His trajectory of schools has been impressive with each school better than the last. I think he is pretty happy right now.
0 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

Interesting comparison, right? Bateman vs Woody.

Both have been extremely effective coordinators for Army; in fact, it can be argued easily that were it not for either or both of them, Army would never have achieved near the success it has. In short, defense has won many games over the years, including or especially, CiC games.

But to my untrained eye, it seemed that Bateman had a more attacking philosophy; as WrekDivr quoted: "We solve all our problems with aggression." Much more blitzing and stunts. Whereas Woody seems to have a more "bend but don't break" mentality. Keep the ball in front of us and don't let 'em in the end zone.

Again, both were and are critical to our success. Good luck to Jay and hope we can keep Nate...

Ps
Just to add fuel to previous fire, the triple option has had some pretty decent success in the bowl season thus far, with both af and costal carolina piling up big yards in their wins...
1 x
Lusk2003
Warrior

Post by Lusk2003 »

Wow! Honestly very surprising as I would have thought he might have been on the chopping block at Florida since they haven’t been great. Good for him.
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

I agree that Bateman had a more aggressive defensive philosophy. Woody has been a very good DC for us, but I don’t think Bateman would have let Navy go down the field like they did.

I think Bateman’s approach was more complimentary to the TO or any ball control offense as they tended to get off the field. Giving up long, ball control drives will kill a TO team.
0 x
Armyfaninpa
Warrior

Post by Armyfaninpa »

Lusk2003 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:01 pm Wow! Honestly very surprising as I would have thought he might have been on the chopping block at Florida since they haven’t been great. Good for him.
If DC’s are treated anywhere near as well as Head Coaches in College Station Bateman’s concerns about the chopping block are officially over. He just landed in chopping block nirvana. When the axe finally falls, he should have a drink with Jimbo to celebrate the occasion. Two Christmases for the price of one!
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

WrekDivr wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:33 pm I agree that Bateman had a more aggressive defensive philosophy. Woody has been a very good DC for us, but I don’t think Bateman would have let Navy go down the field like they did.

I think Bateman’s approach was more complimentary to the TO or any ball control offense as they tended to get off the field. Giving up long, ball control drives will kill a TO team.
Giving up long, ball control drives will kill most any kind of team.
0 x
BG
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

kfan12 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:33 am
WrekDivr wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:33 pm I agree that Bateman had a more aggressive defensive philosophy. Woody has been a very good DC for us, but I don’t think Bateman would have let Navy go down the field like they did.

For sure. I was thinking about it from an SA TO standpoint where you are slowly wearing down their D and your own (usually undersized) D is well rested. If the D is on the field for an extended time, both of those go the wrong way and you lose the edge you are building.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

WrekDivr wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:21 am
kfan12 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:33 am

For sure. I was thinking about it from an SA TO standpoint where you are slowly wearing down their D and your own (usually undersized) D is well rested. If the D is on the field for an extended time, both of those go the wrong way and you lose the edge you are building.
I understand. The challenge obviously is that if a team that is accustomed to long ball-control drives falls behind more than one score, it rarely has the experience necessary to mount a come-back with limited time on the clock.
0 x
BG
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic