Navy Beat Writer

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
monkensminion
Warrior

Navy Beat Writer

Post by monkensminion »

Bill Wagner, the Navy beat writer at the local Annapolis newspaper is essentially an extension of Chet Gladchuk’s office and has been for more than a decade. Today, he published an article in his newspaper and on Twitter highlighting some Navy player who was denied a 5th year of eligibility by the Naval Academy. Instead of becoming a commissioned Naval Officer, this kid has entered the transfer portal to go to another college.

Instead of highlighting the fact that this kid spent four years at tue Naval Academy and just said “fuck it, I’m done”, Wagner focuses on the fact that, allegedly, Army and Air Force allow 5th years seniors and Navy doesn’t and that it’s not an even playing field.

Aside from the fact that I despise Wagner, I find it hilarious how navy has essentially imploded and is lashing out and anyone and everyone to blame. After so many years having to listen to their smug asses rub our faces in the dirt, the shoe is officially on the other foot. Screw them.

I will never understand why some on this board “root for Navy each week, except for one.” Gladchuk is evil.
2 x
USMAPAFAN
Warrior

Re: Navy Beat Writer

Post by USMAPAFAN »

How are Junior and senior academy football players allowed to leave without owing the government?
0 x
rbmarmy
Warrior

Post by rbmarmy »

They probably get demerits or just flunk out, because of low grades.
0 x
AirCav07
Warrior

Post by AirCav07 »

I wonder if they think they can get enough from NIL to pay the resignation fee/cost. I'm not sure they are transferring (resigning) for free. Just a guess
0 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

I saw Mike buddie got in a Twitter spat in the comments of Wagner’s Twitter post. Not sure he did a great job defending Army though.

To me, a player graduating in Dec and playing that semester and getting to the basic course in a January is really no different than a player graduating in May, spending six months of2lt time as a GA, and starting their basic course in January.

That being said, it doesn’t really seem like the policy has been clarified or explained in a way that I understand. We are saying that players are too injured to commission but are healthy enough to play football?
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Dong Fong '09 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:08 am I saw Mike buddie got in a Twitter spat in the comments of Wagner’s Twitter post. Not sure he did a great job defending Army though.

To me, a player graduating in Dec and playing that semester and getting to the basic course in a January is really no different than a player graduating in May, spending six months of2lt time as a GA, and starting their basic course in January.

That being said, it doesn’t really seem like the policy has been clarified or explained in a way that I understand. We are saying that players are too injured to commission but are healthy enough to play football?
Our starting LB on our best team played football. Then was not commissioned due to football injuries and received full Disability
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

Could be academics driving the additional semester. Given a football player’s year-round schedule and potential time off for injury, I could see where some might need an additional semester to finish up academically.
0 x
USMAPAFAN
Warrior

Post by USMAPAFAN »

I think we have had instances of the December grad (athlete) exceptions in the past the the question now is are we using it outside it’s original scope? It does seem recently like more players are goin this route.
0 x
USMAPAFAN
Warrior

Post by USMAPAFAN »

I’m more concerned that these guys can play 3 or 4 years and leave without some Kim for commitment or financial obligation. I am under the impression non athlete cadets owe the govt after they step into their first class of their Cow year. Although it’s been awhile since I was there so maybe that was relaxed?
0 x
apgarme
Warrior

Post by apgarme »

I have two words for Navy.

Napolean McCallum
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic