And so it begins

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
3seconddelay
Warrior

And so it begins

Post by 3seconddelay »

The semi pro league is on the launching pad. https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ourselves/
It really began some time ago, well before 2021, the last season of college football as we knew it. I think there will be a couple of more rounds of conference “realignment” with non-Power2 teams scrambling to get in. I don’t think they will split with just 34 teams but we’ll see. It won’t take years, I think it will be a done deal before the decade is out. Where do the service academy teams fit in this trajectory? Answer: They don’t.
0 x
hammerdown
Warrior

Re: And so it begins

Post by hammerdown »

Service academy's may not fit, but you can include another
80 plus other FBS schools. Let the SEC and Big 10
(maybe the Big 12 also) go and create this semi
pro league. Then the other 80 fbs schools
have their own league. The Alabama's and Michigans
of college football are tired of the NCAA holding
them back with the rules and regulations.
College football has changed more in the last 3 years
then the previous 30. Also, will this chaos spill
into the NCAA basketball tournament.
0 x
Dude69
Warrior

Post by Dude69 »

Yes, it will eventually change college basketball or March Madness and in fact it already has and is. See Rick Pitino’s comments in post game press conference yesterday (Saint John’s U lost to UConn @ MSG). Pitino’s comments are very telling of where this is all going. Can find article on ESPN.com or watch the whole presser.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Its happening right now as we speak. It is just a matter of time, I think about 3 years, before the super league forms with 32 team (or 28) and not only is Army left out of course but so will SEC teams like Vandy and Big 10 teams like Rutgers. It is just a matter of time.

It is also happening right now in secondary sports like baseball. There are only 15-20 schools that have NIL money of any substance, and shockingly those 15 schools are getting all the good transfer kids. Baseball will soon be the haves (15 schools) and the have nots (everyone). The days of a cal state fullerton winning the national title are done.

I don't like it. But the train has left the station.
0 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

3seconddelay wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:28 am The semi pro league is on the launching pad. https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ourselves/
It really began some time ago, well before 2021, the last season of college football as we knew it. I think there will be a couple of more rounds of conference “realignment” with non-Power2 teams scrambling to get in. I don’t think they will split with just 34 teams but we’ll see. It won’t take years, I think it will be a done deal before the decade is out. Where do the service academy teams fit in this trajectory? Answer: They don’t.
I think it is 50/50 that this will implode. 1) I don't see how a semi-pro league can remain associated with the colleges. I can see the federal government threatening to pull funding from colleges that attempt to have paid employees in college sports. This is one of those steps that I think any taxpayer should fight. At that point it is business not amateur sports and we shouldn't be, in any way, providing tax dollars to universities that have the money to pay students to play games. If that wedge is put in there, the whole thing implodes. A semi-pro league will not be watched if it isn't associated with the fan base.
0 x
BG
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

While I don't disagree that government likely gets involved at some point the solution is pretty simple. The schools simply license their name, image and likeness to a semi pro league and they lease the facilities to them as well. They already do this for merchandise. Most all of that College merchandise is licensed and then lease the facilities. Then let the semipro league employee players and coaches.

I'm sure this idea has some gaping holes but I do see it as one of the few solutions. Or maybe more likely is that each school is represented by its own corporation that leases and licenses the names and facilities. The collectives might be the beginning of this. Then all of those organizations belong to a league or a super conference that then divides up all the money and bargains with the players who, in my opinion, will have to be unionized before it's all said and done.

And I know the first question is "Well what about the student athletes? Won't they go to class?" No they will be employees. And there won't be eligibility because there won't be an NCAA

Just my two cents but it's gonna change for certain. And if the lawsuit that was just approved for class action and is suing to get players a share of the revenue produced at the schools goes forward then it will all collapse faster than we realize or want without outside intervention.

PD
0 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

It will be interesting to see what happens with the 80-100 FBS schools that remain. If there is real interest in the scholar-athlete and having people who play for your school actually go to your school, perhaps there will be an opportunity for those schools to get some attention. ESPN and other channels will still have a lot of airtime to fill.
0 x
3seconddelay
Warrior

Post by 3seconddelay »

WrekDivr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:38 am It will be interesting to see what happens with the 80-100 FBS schools that remain. If there is real interest in the scholar-athlete and having people who play for your school actually go to your school, perhaps there will be an opportunity for those schools to get some attention. ESPN and other channels will still have a lot of airtime to fill.
I think we’ll find out in 2025. This is happening and it’s happening now. The 2024 season will be the last with the SEC and BIG10 in the NCAA. It is moving quickly and Charlie Baker is scrambling to salvage what he can. Without the coin though what can he really do. The NCAA withers on the vine for college football without the coin. Football funds the bulk of collegiate sports at the left out schools. They start dropping to Club or just go away. Enjoy 2024. The end.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

THE END???

Doomsday has arrived. We are no longer relevant. It is only us, Navy and Air Force that will remain !!
All the others except the CHOSEN ONES will exist. We are destined for failure! We are forgotten!.
We will arrive in the netherworld. We have been replaced, destroyed, disgraced, broken-up, admonished and just plain beaten to a pulp. We are a has-been to the collegiate football landscape. We are nothing, dead as a door nail.

Uh... When does spring practice begin??? ;) ;) ;)
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic