Bowl Season Starts Army-Navy Weekend

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
3seconddelay
Warrior

Bowl Season Starts Army-Navy Weekend

Post by 3seconddelay »

Another impact of the realignment and CFP format.

https://africa.espn.com/college-footbal ... e-december
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Re: Bowl Season Starts Army-Navy Weekend

Post by gabn92 »

Unavoidable with the expansion of the playoffs...there's only so many weeks on the calendar.

I think it makes the decision to keep Army-Navy as a non-conference game after the AAC championship game look like a foolish decision...they had to know that there was going to be no way to keep A-N as a stand-alone event (at least on a Saturday in Dec) with the additional playoff games added to the mix.

Personally, I hope this leads to them revisiting that decision and making A-N the last regular-season game for both in the AAC.
1 x
3seconddelay
Warrior

Post by 3seconddelay »

gabn92 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:35 pm Personally, I hope this leads to them revisiting that decision and making A-N the last regular-season game for both in the AAC.
I hope it ends up back at Thanksgiving weekend again.
1 x
WrekDivr
Warrior

Post by WrekDivr »

I can’t even imagine the uproar of announcing that Army joins a league AND is moving the AN game to a different weekend at the same time. Probably easier to let the dominos fall one at a time.
gabn92 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:35 pm Unavoidable with the expansion of the playoffs...there's only so many weeks on the calendar.

I think it makes the decision to keep Army-Navy as a non-conference game after the AAC championship game look like a foolish decision...they had to know that there was going to be no way to keep A-N as a stand-alone event (at least on a Saturday in Dec) with the additional playoff games added to the mix.

Personally, I hope this leads to them revisiting that decision and making A-N the last regular-season game for both in the AAC.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Army Navy has locations thru 2027 and I’d bet in 2028 the game is played a different day
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

2028 is a reasonable guess for sure. But with the way contracts get ripped up and buy-outs are paid these days, I wouldn't be surprised to see it change before then.
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

Football will never be the same again.
Army football will never be the same again. I say that because of the teams we now have to play since joining the AAC. Absolutely and positively no interest or rivalry playing teams that to my way of thinking bring anything to the table.
You win them all or you lose them all. So, we win a championship in a thrown together league of teams from all over the place that mean very little to our history and tradition.
To me, we have a two- game season of excitement and enjoyment ( Air Force and Navy). Those are our old , traditional and historical foes that we play this year and forever.
Please, do not put Notre Dame in that category. That series was once a great one but today it is only a money maker. There is no competition with the Irish anymore. We have not beaten that team since 1958 and that was the only time we won since WW2. Guys, WW2 has been over for 79 years now. Enough is enough.
The ignominy of playing them in Yankee Stadium as a Notre Dame HOME game disgusts me to no end as a Shamrock Series for them. We are 50 miles from West Point and we are the AWAY team !!!
We ought to be ashamed of ourselves for even considering scheduling them in the first place and a lousy venue at that. The site lines in that baseball field are the absolute worst to watch a football game and the prices to be there, suck.
But now it's all about the MONEY and so is this new venture of the AAC and the TV money that will come from that. So be it. I don't like it but then a guy like me who just keeps blowing in the wind, a nobody, and a guy who has supported this program since I was just another kid on the block way back in 1945.
What a way to go out.
0 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

i guess another concern i have, and someone please correct me if i'm wrong with this interpretation, is that the list of bowl opportunities is smaller with the scheduling issue.
0 x
neumanna1
Warrior

Post by neumanna1 »

I think that's only a minor factor. These are bowls which would have been the following weekend anyway, which they were never going to play in, just a week after Army-Navy. At least for now, if more games start getting added to that weekend, and other games get moved up to the following weekend, it may end up being an issue.
0 x
Oliphant
Warrior

Post by Oliphant »

It is what it is.

We moved the game to a standalone because it couldn't compete with the more marquee rivalries.
0 x
21-17!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic