Concise Communication, IQ, Executing Orders and 25 seconds

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
GOARMYSPIKES
Warrior

Concise Communication, IQ, Executing Orders and 25 seconds

Post by GOARMYSPIKES »

Interested in the forum's take on this if anyone else sees this too....

As of this year, NCAA allows a coach to talk to the QB in his helmet speaker for the first 25 seconds of the 40 second play clock or until the ball is snapped. QB cannot talk back (one way commo only).

Seems like this plays right into the Army ethos of battle drills, quick commo, listening skills, quick decision making, and clever tweaks to plays based on real time battle observations.

Some teams will definitely be happy just to get a play call and correct personnel on the field.

But I have to imagine there is a ton more information and tactical reactions to the defense personnel, tweaks to plays taking advantage of something the OC is seeing, etc., that are going from Coach Worley directly into Daily's brain during those 25 seconds. Also note that this means going hurry up allows the QB to hear the Coach talk while at the line surveying the D. This gives an advantage to smart systems based on repetition and execution, and to coaches and players that move, shoot and communicate well. Army and Navy.....
2 x
3seconddelay
Warrior

Re: Concise Communication, IQ, Executing Orders and 25 seconds

Post by 3seconddelay »

I had this conversation with my son yesterday. I’ve been commenting all season how fast Army has been adjusting on both sides of the ball and concluded that it is superior use of the allowed technology this year. I remember when the Army Team couldn’t even adjust at halftime. It was particularly bad during the Ellerson years. They are obviously adjusting real time and it’s wonderful to see.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

3seconddelay wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:33 am I had this conversation with my son yesterday. I’ve been commenting all season how fast Army has been adjusting on both sides of the ball and concluded that it is superior use of the allowed technology this year. I remember when the Army Team couldn’t even adjust at halftime. It was particularly bad during the Ellerson years. They are obviously adjusting real time and it’s wonderful to see.
The ellerson years were brutal and i knew a starter in those years and the stories he’d tell about the coaching staff were absurd. Alot of wierd crazy dudes
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

The technology/rules changes this year are undoubtedly helping…I agree it seems the coaches and team are taking full advantage.

I think the impact of Worley on this offense can’t be missed…even more than the helmet comms and tablets on sidelines, Worleys ability to read and adjust to what the defense is doing is the biggest factor in the teams success this year moving the ball. Of course, the players are executing extremely well also by minimizing penalties, turnovers and negative plays. But Worley is putting the O in great position drive after drive to succeed.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic