Army/Navy

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
Mule41
Warrior

Army/Navy

Post by Mule41 »

Game sold out
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Re: Army/Navy

Post by RABBLE »

That is OK by me. I have gone to about 25 A/N games in the past 70 years WHEN the price of a ticket was reasonable.
These current days the cost of a ticket has gone absolutely awful. Who in their right mind would want to pay the price for even a nose bleed seat a half mile away from the field?
This game and all other college games charging what they do today is simply ridiculous. College football has priced itself out of my budget and a lot of older senior citizens too. This is what you get for all the years of support and dedication to your favorite sports team.
The hell with it. I will support my team with dedication to my TV screen from now on. Even a Michie ticket to one of these non-descript AAC nobodys is too much. What do you get for your money anyhow?
Sure, I might grab 1-2 games but a season ticket to the complete home schedule is long gone after decades of buying season tickets for the past four decades.
Don't even mention the Notre Dame game. Most likely a blowout with lousy site lines anyway..
0 x
westcoastarmyfan
Warrior

Post by westcoastarmyfan »

I thought just the WP allocation of tickets was sold out.
0 x
apgarme
Warrior

Post by apgarme »

I too am disappointed that I was unable to purchase tickets. I am seen every Army-Navy game in person for about the last 27 years with the exception of the COVID year game of course. I saw Ronnie McAda lead the great comeback. I sat through 14 losses in a row. It is a matter of dollars, and that's the way it is. I donate $1000 per year and that amount is not sufficient to be high enough in the line to purchase a seat.

At least it will be warm watching from my living room.

Go Army Beat Navy
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

Less than $12.00 per ticket pre- 1960 when the game was played in the old Philadelphia's Municipal Stadium with 102,000 fans in the seats. Man, that was a sight to behold .Those games in the 1950's and 1960's 'were always for a high ranking and of national interest.
Today, in a smaller setting with no national interest in a high national ranking and the prices so high that puts so many people on the outside looking in, it is just not the same anymore.
My interest always remains high but sadly my attendance will not be among the fans today.

Sorta like Yale in 1900. A powerhouse back then but today, just a small team playing the game. Kinda sad to me. Yale Bowl. Magnificent back then and. today, a decrepit old looking barn.
0 x
Mudent
Warrior

Post by Mudent »

I've had season tickets in my class section, in sec 12, since 1994, the year I retired from active duty. Back then (Al Vanderbush was the AD) the AAA was like a family. As a graduate you were assured of A-N tickets. The controversy then was how close were you to the 50 yard line - the older your class the closer to midfield.

Now, the Athletic Dept Is big business - money talks. How many retired LTC'S and COL'S will be sitting on the 50 yard line at A-N? Tickets are allocated by how much you donate not by whether you are a long time season ticket holder or an old grad. So much for loyalty.

I really believe WP can't wait to see us old timers, who remember the old days, die off so they can resell our season tickets and charge a licensing fee and not have to worry about complaints from grads who remember Al Vanderbush.
0 x
apgarme
Warrior

Post by apgarme »

Mudent - I wrote an e-mail to Ms. Conley, Assistant Director of Ticket Sales. She acknowledged the impact of selling tickets to game sponsors and big donors. My disappointment in not being able to purchase tickets turned into anger when I saw that the tickets were being scalped at prices ranging from $839 to $1300; hence, my e-mail to Ms. Conley. I doubt that many fans who care about Army football would scalp tickets. Selling out early is good business; however, there are many fans of your higher loyalty level that deserve more respect from ODIA.
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

While in some respects I wish that things were more intimate and loyal and rank/class based for A/N tickets. There is no doubt that it's a special game and a special event and that the graduates first and foremost are most attached to the history and what the game means. That is a deep loyalty that can not be ignored. And I'm sure that we would keep it reasonable if we could.

My view is that external forces have pushed us here more than anything. This is the most visible event for both Academies by far. And to continue to be relevant on the national stage the game and how the game is administered has evolved. And you can still get tickets. They are out there but you won't be on the 50 yard line and certainly not in the lower bowl without a significant investment. Tickets went out around the Colonel Level this year which required a $1500 donation to the A club plus the cost of the ticket and you could get up to 10 tickets. So at that level even a single seat has you for $300 ($150 in donation per ticket and another $150 for the ticket). And those will be upper deck and likely in the corners or end zones. Lower bowl tickets you probably need to give $5000 or more plus the $150 at ticket. That would put your cost at around $500 a ticket and it just goes up from there. Add in fees from 3rd party sites like Stub Hub or Seat Geek and it's gonna be another $75 a ticket So that adds even more.

Revenue is the name of the game not just for football but for all Academy NCAA Sports. We still have more NCAA Sports teams than any school in America. And that doesn't come cheap. Coaches, staff, trainers, equipment, travel and lodging, recruiting, marketing, facilities, food, etc....it all adds up and only Football makes money. So we have to make a buck where we can. Army may be spread thinner athletically more than any school in America. imagine where it would be if we hadn't monetized the A/N Game and driven it to the success it has? There would certainly be other unforeseen circumstances. But then again probably no one would complain if women's cross country went away. We have 27 total mens and women's teams. Alabama has 14. Texas has 18. Michigan has 27 as well.

Lastly I'll say this, I wish tickets were in demand for home games like they were for A/N. Logistics are the major challenge first and foremost and secondly the home schedule is usually so bad that it compounds the lack of interest. People complain because they want to see the biggest game of the year. But no one complains about tickets or ticket prices at Michie and we all know why. Will the new stadium help? Probably not. I can watch us play Lehigh on TV without the hassle. Just an interesting perspective.

PD
0 x
apgarme
Warrior

Post by apgarme »

PD - All of your points are valid and explain the business side of the game very well. Your words, in addition to Ms. Conley's thoughtful e-mail, make me feel a little better about the situation.

Thank you
0 x
RABBLE
Warrior

Post by RABBLE »

Mudent wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:49 pm I've had season tickets in my class section, in sec 12, since 1994, the year I retired from active duty. Back then (Al Vanderbush was the AD) the AAA was like a family. As a graduate you were assured of A-N tickets. The controversy then was how close were you to the 50 yard line - the older your class the closer to midfield.

Now, the Athletic Dept Is big business - money talks. How many retired LTC'S and COL'S will be sitting on the 50 yard line at A-N? Tickets are allocated by how much you donate not by whether you are a long time season ticket holder or an old grad. So much for loyalty.

I really believe WP can't wait to see us old timers, who remember the old days, die off so they can resell our season tickets and charge a licensing fee and not have to worry about complaints from grads who remember Al Vanderbush.
Hell, i go back to Earl Blaik as the AD. Yeah, I go way back. Probably saw 25 A/N games in person over the years.
Scalp or no scalp tickets. I have no dog in this fight anymore. I have seen my last A/N game simply because I cannot afford the price these days. Ticket prices are not fixed in these times but my fixed income IS !!
No complaints from me. I had a GREAT run. Over 200 Michie games in person and 25 AWAY games from Boston to Hawai'i. This old timer will always support athletics at WP. Always have and always will as long as I can keep ticking.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic