Fall Camp Reports?

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
ithurtstowatch
Warrior

Fall Camp Reports?

Post by ithurtstowatch »

Anyone see any reports on camp so far? How are we looking?
0 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Re: Fall Camp Reports?

Post by ARMORMAN »

Follow Army West Point Football on facebook. They are keeping very current on camp and recruiting.
Here's a link for day 2 of practice:

https://www.facebook.com/armyfootball

Ps
My prediction is that you change your callsign after this season......somethin' like "itsagastowatch".
1 x
ithurtstowatch
Warrior

Post by ithurtstowatch »

I have had this handle for a long time, during the Ellerson years. I have considered changing it during the good years, but decided to keep it to make sure I always remember how bad it can get.
1 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

Well deserved handle during the Ellerson years, or the Brock years, or the Ross years, or the Berry years...

Good God, we've been thru hell. :(

But now it's the Monken era and, devoid of Davis going stupid stale and last year's "experiment" (which still yielded a CiC trophy), it's been a great ride. Moreover, I really think the best is ahead. This year in particular could be one for the ages. We are loaded in all the key spots, and the schedule is favorable.

It's gonna be a gas to watch!

:lol:
0 x
ithurtstowatch
Warrior

Post by ithurtstowatch »

I hope so. I hope we can win the AAC within 5 years, despite the NCAA trying to gut TO football with the restrictions on blocking, specifically cut blocking.
0 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

I think we may have adapted. I could be wrong, but I think we're gonna run the triple this year with mostly Zone blocking, rather than Cut. The advantages would be:

1) Zone blocking gives the B backs and QB slightly more time and therefore the option to pick their hole, which would hugely advantage guys like Udoh, Reed, and Daily who all run with both power and elusiveness...
2) Far fewer Chop block penalties, which are absolute DRIVE KILLERS with our offense.

Of course, the key is whether our O line has the power and strength to create holes or move the pile using Zone blocking... We shall see.
We'll probably keep the cuts for short yardage, and let Rendina do his bulldozer thing.

P&D, what say you?...
0 x
3seconddelay
Warrior

Post by 3seconddelay »

ARMORMAN wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 3:26 pm I think we may have adapted. I could be wrong, but I think we're gonna run the triple this year with mostly Zone blocking, rather than cut
That is what I gathered from the Asforfootball guys. It will be fun to watch.

This is the best core of the TO since the 2016 team. That team had a one-two punch with Wolfolk and Davidson. The 2024 team has a three punch combo of fresh legs with Udoh, Reed, and Rendina.

Rendina can fill Buchanan’s shoes. Reed is like a Swiss Army knife with great hands out of the backfield. Udoh is special. He’s been running behind Brady Small for five years straight now. I think the college football world we be talking about Kanye Udoh before the season is out, barring injury. Beat Everyone!
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

As long as we have a fullback with his hand in the turf we will be in a decent position to win.

As for blocking the cut block rules changed on the perimeter. We will still cut inside the tackle box I believe. Technically a chop block is when you post a defender both high and low. Usually when a guard or tackle is engaged up top and another man takes out his legs. We get those from time to time and are more an error of assignment failure in my opinion.

We can run zone scheme along with standard TO (midline and veer). Just have to teach the o lineman. It's really not one or none. It's just most places are running so much zone that it looks like you can only have one or the other. I suspect we will do both and have some down blocks plays side, cut off backside and kick out EMLOS. Along with other stuff. I'm sure we will see some gun or pistol at some point too but won't be exclusive.

I would like to see us run some I formation stuff like Air Force does from time to time. Put put in Udoh as the tail back and run power and inside counter and maybe toss sweep from time to time . Add in the trap and dive for the FB and then a bootleg for daily and give him the TE and FB as pass options or let him keep on the perimeter as a runner.

As long as we have an inside run game that starts with the FB and then evolves to the QB power and evolves to some triple and then a mix of any number of things we can be very successful.

but as always it starts at Center, moves to the guards and then to the tackles. Those guys have to be strong, mean, and disciplined. they have to physically lean on people play after play and we can't afford to have missed assignments or get dominated at the line of scrimmage. That has been a major issue these last few years. And good skill players help but they can't overcome those 5 up front. And scheme makes not difference. 6-6 for two years in a row. Two schemes and plenty of talent in skill spots both years. It reminds me of Bill Clinton as President when they used to say "It's the economy stupid!" Well, in the case of Army Football it's the O line that matters stupid! That's self directed at me not at any of you here.

All in all. We need to be geared up to beat Lehigh. It would be a great sign to put up 50 or more on them early. Matter of days at this point.

1-0 each week!

PD
1 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

Do you remember how we blocked Costal last year? Seems like our under-center was hittin all cylinders, even with the "excuse" that they were surprised...
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

As I have said before, I have no idea how we went from "we have analyzed our offense and with the new rules, we can no longer run an under center option. Therefore we have hired the person I feel is the expert in the best offense for army moving forward. It is no longer possible to run the under center option"

to

"expert is fired. we are running the under center option again"

in like 11 month time frame
1 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic