Fall Camp Reports?

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
WrekDivr
Warrior

Re: Fall Camp Reports?

Post by WrekDivr »

Well, the shotgun experiment simply did not work, though there was a flash or two during the year. That’s how you change quickly. Also, I think the W vs. Coastal surprised Monken a bit. Not that we won - he expects to win them all. But the dominance of the offense in that game was impressive and showed that the TO COULD work. JM is a smart guy and facts ruled. It may turn out that the move away from BD is the real win. I was a BD fan, but his effectiveness as OC the last few years of his run were painful.
0 x
Lusk2003
Warrior

Post by Lusk2003 »

I have whiplash. I still wonder where we found Thatcher? I just don’t see JM sitting around watching D2 games every weekend but maybe I’m wrong. I still don’t see how anyone could have thought that was a good idea.

I’m just glad it was a bad dream we don’t have to relive again this year.
0 x
wpgrad
Warrior

Post by wpgrad »

Lusk2003 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:36 pm I have whiplash. I still wonder where we found Thatcher? I just don’t see JM sitting around watching D2 games every weekend but maybe I’m wrong. I still don’t see how anyone could have thought that was a good idea.

I’m just glad it was a bad dream we don’t have to relive again this year.
I trust in monken, and I'd prefer an offense where we never pass. But....monken publically stated he thought about this for "a few years" and interacted with thatcher for 2 years and would have made the move for the 2022 season if they have passed the rule before spring ball......and then just to toss it all away and say "all good, we going back to the offense I just said won't work" just is wierd.

Oh well. Here we are. Could be worse, we could have hired Bobby Ross this off season.
1 x
Dong Fong '09
Warrior

Post by Dong Fong '09 »

Brent davis prob should have been fired after the 2021 army navy game. The 2020-2022 period of stubbornly running out Tyler amd Davis being incapable of evolving his play calling was brutal.

Hopefully Worley gets the job done and provides stability for a long time.

Hopefully offensive line has been adequately addressed. Pretty clear at this point Viti’s ceiling is as a fullbacks coach.

Lots of potential and reason to be optimistic on the offensive side of the ball this year!
0 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

I actually think there's reason for optimism on BOTH sides of the line this year. Offense is obvious, with talent and depth at all critical positions; but defense is also loaded with talent and ferocity on the line, at backers, and in the secondary. Also, we have the best set of coordinators in Worley and Woody that we've had since I can remember. I've never been so excited about our prospects in 2 of the 3 teams we put on the field. The question for me is special teams and specifically, the kicking game:

Do we have a reliable place kicker, do we have a kickoff guy who can get it into the end zone and do we have a reliable punter? Those positions can make or break a game, especially the close ones...

I guess only time will tell....
0 x
USMA76
Warrior

Post by USMA76 »

I don't know who's waiting in the wings but I know we'll miss Quinn Maretzki .
0 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

100%

That kid was money.
1 x
USMA76
Warrior

Post by USMA76 »

ARMORMAN wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:02 pm 100%

That kid was money.
+1
0 x
PrideandDream
Warrior

Post by PrideandDream »

ARMORMAN wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 1:15 pm I actually think there's reason for optimism on BOTH sides of the line this year. Offense is obvious, with talent and depth at all critical positions; but defense is also loaded with talent and ferocity on the line, at backers, and in the secondary. Also, we have the best set of coordinators in Worley and Woody that we've had since I can remember. I've never been so excited about our prospects in 2 of the 3 teams we put on the field. The question for me is special teams and specifically, the kicking game:

Do we have a reliable place kicker, do we have a kickoff guy who can get it into the end zone and do we have a reliable punter? Those positions can make or break a game, especially the close ones...

I guess only time will tell....
Placekicker? Placekickers and Punters only exist due to inefficiencies in your offense. Let's hope we never have to use either and go for two after every TD!!!

Of course, I don't like throwing passes either!

Here's to hoping we don't have any "Close Ones"!!

Gonna be a fun year I think!!

PD
0 x
Justafan11
Warrior

Post by Justafan11 »

I saw a kid (Isaac Carter) at Southern Columbia (Pa.) high school last year who has a tremendous leg. The games I saw him play he kicked the ball into or out of the end zone all game. He comes from a winning program and very much wanted to attend West Point. I believe he's there as a walk-on but, I think, in time he could become Army's kicker. Plays linebacker and soccer as well. Google him - he very much sounds like the kind of young man that is a perfect fit for the academy.
1 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic