FAU Game Thread

Discussing Army Black Knights football, basketball and more. United States Military Academy sports forum. West Point athletics discussion board.
westcoastarmyfan
Warrior

Re: FAU Game Thread

Post by westcoastarmyfan »

I've got to hand it to the Army defense. I watched some of the Mich State FAU game, the QB broke off 5 or 6 runs of 10 to 20 yards where Mich lost containment. I only recall him getting one of those runs today. They really corralled him pretty good.
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

That was a great win for Army! On the road, in the heat, against the conference opponent predicted to finish right behind us in conference standings (#6)…and Army dominated.

Far from perfect for sure with the fumble and penalties. Bogged down on offense for the 2nd quarter. So there’s plenty to work on during the off week.

But all in all, this season has started out as good as I could have hoped. Army can have a special season if they can stay healthy and keep improving a little bit each week.

Beat Rice!
1 x
Armyfaninpa
Warrior

Post by Armyfaninpa »

It sure looks as if working on the pitch was a major emphasis in the off-season. The timing has been perfect with Daily getting the ball out to carriers in full stride. Opposing defenses will have a lot more to think about than in years past. Much credit due to the coaching staff for getting out of the play calling rut that has hampered the running game past 4-5 years. As much as I like seeing Daily running out as lead blocker, it does make me a bit nervous seeing him hurling his body at Db’s and lb’s 20-30 yards downfield, but can’t help but admire the way the young man is wired.

Navy looked good vs a pretty bad Temple squad - AFA appears to be a train wreck in progress.
0 x
gabn92
Warrior

Post by gabn92 »

I was thinking all game that there must have been some equipment manager getting an earful for bringing the all black uniforms into the FL heat. Then heard Daly interview after the game when he said the players made that call when they heard FAU went with whites. That was a deliberate message that the heat wasn’t going to affect Army. Love the psychological warfare with that!
0 x
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

spot on armyfaninpa.

It's been a long, slow, agonizing recovery from the "offense" that we somehow sunk into. Davis deserves most of the blame. His stupid, stale, predictable, fumble-averse, fb dive, qb dive play-calling was utterly ineffective and literally unwatchable. Monken allowed it, so he shares blame, as he does for adapting the horrendous failed Thatcher experiment afterwards.

But give Jeff huge credit. He admitted and owned the mistake(s). He fired Davis and then Thatcher, promoted Worley, and went back to the future. And here we are!

We have the most talented backfield in memory to compliment and implement an upgraded under-center triple, with imaginative, creative, exciting play-calling and impressive execution. We go inside, we go outside, we pitch, we counter, we throw, we trap, and whatever-the-hell-else Worley has up his sleeve. Pair that with a MOB that (thankfully) still plays with strength and violence, and it's super-effective, not to mention incredibly entertaining!

Special teams also looking incredible. Credit to Saturnio! Fake punt and fake FG led to not 1, but 2 TD's. Kickoffs look deep and consistent. PAT's are high and deep (an occasional push that I hope gets straightened). One for one on FG's and the new punter looks consistent.

Finally, defense has allowed only 7 points in each game. That's a super stat. We all wanna see a little less "bend" between the 20's and maybe a little tighter play on the wide-outs, but there's lotsa new faces out there and credit Woody for keeping things under control while the men get used to his schemes and each other. Loved the goal-line stand when our backs were against it -- that's becoming an ARMY tradition!

I love this team.
2 x
kfan12
Warrior

Post by kfan12 »

Great game. Fun to watch. A few missed opportunities there in the second quarter. Only true weakness I've seen so far is in the return game. Still need to figure out how to catch and return a punt.
0 x
BG
ARMORMAN
Warrior

Post by ARMORMAN »

Quick answer:
Tyrell Robinson, when he returns.
0 x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic